Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old 570. I have never had an issue with it at all until this past weekend. Went over to my lease, noticed when I unloaded I only had 2 gas bars, but figured it was enough to do what I needed to do.

Long story short I was at my last stop and I was changing batteries on a camera and the wheeler was parked at a slight downhill angle, and it died. Sounded like it ran out of gas and died. I finished the batteries and got on it and it started right up, thought no worries, still showing 1 bar. It had zero power, like zero. It would go with me and my son, but very sluggish. Then after 100 yards or so it backfired a few times and then would rev up to near normal power then sputter and back to weak. Had a big dry creek to get through and put it in low and 4x4 and it felt near full power, came out of the creek and it started back firing again, a lot and got real sluggish. Made it to load it up thankfully.

Any experience with that? Should I take it to a dealer? Or just put some seafoam and run it?

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
No codes?? Engine light???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you check codes? The engine light came on 2 weeks ago. I assumed it meant service time?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I guess the first thing is how much fuel is actually in the tank? Did you fill it up with fresh fuel and tank it for a ride afterwards?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the first thing is how much fuel is actually in the tank? Did you fill it up with fresh fuel and tank it for a ride afterwards?
I did not, I wasn’t sure if I should do that or not if it was still sluggish?

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Put some fuel into the tank. You could just be low on fuel. The gauge may not be that accurate. Add a couple gallons and try it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I filled it about half full with gas, and now it will not even start. Not sure where to go here.

·
9,437 Posts
It probably won't show any codes and pouring gasohol in won't help. I'd guess the fuel pump has crapped out. Check the fuel pressure or just replace the pump.
Common issue with those machines after a few years submerged in and trying to pump alcohol and the water it brings with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, do you have lights and a gauge cluster? I guess i am asking if you have power? Does it crank or do you get nothing at all?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry all for my ignorance. Been reading a lot tonight. I have no engine codes, only the wrench for service, it was serviced though so I guess they just didn't reset it.

It starts now, and will idle fine, then when revving up it will start to back fire and sputter some. Smells to be running very, very rich.

Should I just put some injector cleaner in with a fresh tank of gas and run the crap out of it?

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, do you have lights and a gauge cluster? I guess i am asking if you have power? Does it crank or do you get nothing at all?
Sorry when I said earlier it wouldn't start, I briefly tried and it had power just would't do anything. But when I went back out it started easily. I started it 3-4 times and each time cranked right up. Just runs rough on and off, especially with more throttle.

·
9,437 Posts
How do you check codes? The engine light came on 2 weeks ago. I assumed it meant service time?
I didn't see the part about having the check engine light. I think you can only retrieve the trouble code during that key-on cycle. It gets erased once you cycle the key again.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Don't assume the check engine light is for the service. The service indicator would be the wrench icon with the hour glass flashing when you start the machine. Anything else would need the codes read. Toggle through the modes and double check that the service interval timer is reset.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys, let me recap this. I learned more last night by reading up on stuff that I ever knew. Should have done that way before now but it is what it is. My check engine light was never on. Only the wrench and hour glass for service, it must just not have been reset when I had it serviced. I didn't realize the wrench only meant service, I thought that was the check engine light.

It's fuel injected. It smells like it's running rich as well. My questions are, what should I do/check for this, and is it something I should add some fuel cleaner in and just run it a lot?

Also, it was 100% fine until it died, when it died it sounded like it ran out of gas and just choked off. Then from start up starting having problems. On previous ATVs I've had they all had carbs and I would assume it sucked something into the carb. I have no clue how the fuel injection works honestly.

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check the easy things first,.. you have fuel,.. check air filter,.. swap spark plug,.. next would be fuel pressure as mentioned.

·
9,437 Posts
Sorry when I said earlier it wouldn't start, I briefly tried and it had power just would't do anything. But when I went back out it started easily. I started it 3-4 times and each time cranked right up. Just runs rough on and off, especially with more throttle.
Ok, now you have me really confused. When you say "it had power just wouldn't do anything". Do you mean it would crank but not start or it wouldn't crank?
Is it an electrical or a fuel problem?
If its cranking and usually starts but sometimes don't and when it does start it runs bad, won't take throttle, bogs or sometimes quits then it still sounds like a bad fuel pump and/or fuel pressure regulator to me.
If the above is what its doing check the fuel pressure and if you replace the pump get a Quantum kit for around $80 that includes the regulator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, now you have me really confused. When you say "it had power just wouldn't do anything". Do you mean it would crank but not start or it wouldn't crank?
Is it an electrical or a fuel problem?
If its cranking and usually starts but sometimes don't and when it does start it runs bad, won't take throttle, bogs or sometimes quits then it still sounds like a bad fuel pump and/or fuel pressure regulator to me.
If the above is what its doing check the fuel pressure and if you replace the pump get a Quantum kit for around $80 that includes the regulator.
Yes, sorry again for poor explanations. It starts every time now, seems to maybe be running a tad smoother, maybe. But when I throttle hard to rev up it either sputters, or it has normal rev and power and then backfires quite a bit. It's doing more of the backfiring and running close to normal than sputtering now.

Will it hurt anything to get some fuel cleaner and just run it for a while and see what happens?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds to me like the fuel pump is weak and can't supply the needed pressure. Backfire is usually a sign of a lean condition. You need to get the proper equipment to check the fuel pressure.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Part of what the fuel does for an electric fuel pump is cool it as it runs. It is very possible that when it ran low it got too hot and was damaged. I will second or third.....the test the fuel pump pressure next idea. Very well could be the problem.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts