Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All I'm new to the forum, Hope I can get some help in here for my Polaris sportsman 570 2014, I just put a plow on it, and my winch took a crap! (don't know the brand) I bought my ATV used just this summer. I got it from a trusted source (my nephew) So far I love it!! but I have found its a pain in the butt to work on, am not a mechanic by any means just a farm girl learning! I need your help/advice!
Looking at the BADLAND 3500 from harbor freight (my price range) what I need to know is will this work on my ATV? I have the mount from old winch, can I use the old mount? How hard is it to install the winch? Just my luck we got SNOW and I don't have my ATV ready to work! :( I often look to youtube for help, am a visual learner! please be kind as my level of frustration has me in tears! I'm 60 years young and ready to learn! Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You’ll find all the help you need here.

Should mount up without any issue. Most winches of relatively the same size have the same bolting pattern. Red and black wires get connected to the battery and you have an option of a handlebar mount control or handheld. For plowing I would use the handlebar mount.

Take note when you remove the old one, basically the new one will be mounted the same. May have to fish some wires around for a clean look but fairly straightforward. Lots of people have had good experiences with the Badland winch, so you’ve made a good choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dearest Gsmartino100,
Thank you for your speedy reply!!! Wish me luck, off to buy my new winch! I will post my progress! maybe even a few pics too!

·
8,922 Posts
Hey Farmgirl, before buying another winch check connections, switch and contactor. Its pretty rare for the winch itself to crap out unless really abused or submerged. Much more common for one of the above to be the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Farmgirl, before buying another winch check connections, switch and contactor. Its pretty rare for the winch itself to crap out unless really abused or submerged. Much more common for one of the above to be the problem.
polman500, it won't even hold the plow up and now it's doing nothing! I tighten up cable/rope by letting it pull the atv, that didn't work. Not sure what connections to check??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on install of winch, I was able to get it done! The mount fit the new winch and I just used the old switch! Everything worked!! I hocked up my plow and started to push some snow around and the damn cable broke!!! Have to take the winch off... :( and return it. my level of frustration is beyond words...

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
No just buy a plow strap made for snow plowing applications. Its in lieu of a cable and will hold up over time.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Update on install of winch, I was able to get it done! The mount fit the new winch and I just used the old switch! Everything worked!! I hocked up my plow and started to push some snow around and the damn cable broke!!! Have to take the winch off... :( and return it. my level of frustration is beyond words...
Is there a fairlead for the cable or is the winch mounted so the cable does not rub anything as it lifts and lowers the blade?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts