Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 500 H.O. running issue:

I have a question with a problem I am having with my Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. While elk hunting this past weekend my machine started doing something I can not explain. While riding around one day to another the machine will all the sudden loose power, backfire, and then die. It will restart and idle, but then it will run for a few minutes, and repeat the symptoms mentioned above. It will do this 3-6 times with the run time distance getting greater after every restart. The really confusing part of this is that there is no consistency with this issue. It will cut out only 5 min. one day, and the next day will act up after 30 miles. I have drained the gas, checked the air filter, all hoses seem good and in shape, have put gas treatment and carb cleaner in with the gas, checked the plug -o.k. The shop here hasn't a clue but wants to go threw it next week. I am just wondering if this has happened to others and there is a solution I can correct myself?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome. I am really glad to see this site and hope to learn alot from you seasoned Polaris owners. I am a new owner of this used Polaris machine, and to ATV's.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts