Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had had power issues with my 06 sporty 500efi while the muffler is under water. Some other sportsman owners have said that the stock muffler is too restrictive causing flow problems. Their solutions were to mod the stock muffler or put a higher flowing exhaust on OR exhaust snorkel.
Has anyone else experienced this. I dont want to gut my muffler as I use it a lot for moving snow and the quieter the better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the same issue. Once the muffler get under water especially when water wheelieing it bogs out and almost stalls. I have to put it to the bar to keep it running.
By buddy (a mechanic) says that the muffler has nothing to do with it. He says water is getting something electrical wet. Spark plugs or some connector. So before I buy an exhaust or do the muffler mod I'm going to dielectric grease all connections and the spark plug boots.
Its a cheap start. If that doesn't fix it then the exhaust will be on order.

I don't think its an electrical issue though because as soon and the muffler is out of the water it runs perfect.
I would think if something was getting wet it would still break up out of the water until it dries out.
this has been an issue with mine since new.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know for a fact its not electrical, every connection on my bike has di electric grease and like you said, it smartens right up as soo as you get out of the water. I personally like loud pipes, everything I own is loud, (cummins-straight pipe, drz400sm- fmf powerbomb header and powercor 4 exhaust, snowmobiles all have burnt out cans) but for the purpose of moving snow with my quad I am sure the neighbours wouldnt like it at 9pm at night. So maybe a slip on is in the works for summers and stock in the winters.

·
Registered
164 Posts
By putting your exhaust under water. And it changes the deeper the tip goes under water. You have more backpreasure. So engine will idle slower and less power. And to be that deep the whole wheeler demands more power.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You could always just do a slip on piece of pipe that turns the exhaust up and out of the water when you're riding there, and pop it off when at home and plowing.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Are you staying in the throttle, or trying to let it idle while under water? You should never let it idle under water. If you are staying in the throttle and it is dying, I think you have a different issue. I go 6' deep with no issues and stock exhaust. I know you said that you have dielectric grease on everything, but are you sure that it is not your spark plug getting wet? Maybe you haven't put dielectric grease in the spark plug boot recently, or even a cracked plug wire? People sometimes blame the exhaust because that is what they can see under water. Your spark plug is at the about the same height as your exhaust. It will sputter and die while under water, and then will stop once you get out. If you are sure that it is the backpressure on the exhaust, then yes, a more free flowing exhaust will help overcome the backpressure from the water. Have you cleaned out your stock exhaust? It may be clogged and that could cause extra backpressure. I have never had that issue with my sportsman, but I did have that on my 700 grizzly. It was so clogged it would barely idle just sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It is the exhaust on the 4 and 500s. I have had my entire engine out of water and it stalled out on me. I was climbing out of a creek and the right rear dropped in a hole and it submerged the muffler and killed it even under power. I tested it a lot of other places. I would back into deep water and try to pull out and it would just bog and barely pull out.

I did the muffler mod and the problem is GONE. I can back into the same water and idle. (Idle set at 1400)

·
Registered
553 Posts
That should tell you something they are not made to run underwater! They are not submarines!

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That should tell you something they are not made to run underwater! They are not submarines!
They play the role pretty damn good, lol. I put tires and snorkels on my quad because I'm not turning back at a water hole after coming 40kms just because of some mud and water.
My exhaust must be getting plugged, I dont recall it doing this from new, and its been an underwater diver from new. Do I just have to pull that plug and let it run?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can pull that plug start it and rev it up. Tap on muffler and keep repeating.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking at different slip ons and some look like the rear Polaris bumper will interfere, anyone have a slip on with oem bumper?, will full big gun system make more power?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm going have a custom exhaust using a Magnaflow muffler.
here is a sound clip of it.

The 800 sounds like a weed wacker. This is probably the best sounding option I've heard so far.
total cost is around $130.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'm looking at different slip ons and some look like the rear Polaris bumper will interfere, anyone have a slip on with oem bumper?, will full big gun system make more power?
They are tight but they fit. If you get the full big gun system with proper tuning then you can get a little more HP. A slip on will not get you more HP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts