Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm new here and to Polaris ATV's, however, not new to motorcycles, PWC, auto repair, etc. etc.

I'm looking to get a lady friends '96 Polaris Sportsman, water cooled, 400 4x4 running. She's got a small ranch and uses it to drag the arena and miscellaneous chores.

I suspect this is a 4 stroke? Is there a free online owners/maintenance manual source anywhere? It needs a battery and her daughter claims the starter is shot. Another friend claims a rebuild kit is available for the starter. The key is broke off in the tumbler. Are replacement keys available by serial number?? Not a bit deal for now...

Thanks gang, for the help...

Cam

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 96 model is a two stroke. There are rebuild kits for the starter but make sure you use oem parts as the aftermarket kits are made in China and are junk. You need the number off the key to make another one or just replace the ignition switch. Make sure to always run the machine with the battery in place even if the battery is dead. The battery is a major ground and with out it being hooked up, will cause electrical failures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dale. Are these direct oil injected ? I have a SL650 PWC and the trick is to junk the direct injection and run pre-mix. Is the starter readily accesible? Buried under covers? I'm not sure they kept the key blank.. May have just pitched it and left the remains in the tumbler...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would inspect the cable going to the pump and make sure that it works properly and just run the oil injection. The starter requires you to remove a lot of parts to service it but it is easy to do. Sounds like you need a new ignition for that machine.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts