Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the XP in for the oil burning issue and the ring end gap was out of tolerence which was causing the oil issue per the mechanic. He got the cylinder bored and was putting it back together and started to time it when he noticed the cam chain sprocket was wore. Almost all the teeth are gone off of one side and the other side still has all of the teeth but wore some. I have never seen a sprocket wore like this one and he hasn't either. I am sick and tired of spending money on this thing every time I turn around. I found 3 white 500's for $5099.00 each and once the XP is put back together I think it is time to part ways. I am going to loose my ass but damn!

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Took the XP in for the oil burning issue and the ring end gap was out of tolerence which was causing the oil issue per the mechanic. He got the cylinder bored and was putting it back together and started to time it when he noticed the cam chain sprocket was wore. Almost all the teeth are gone off of one side and the other side still has all of the teeth but wore some. I have never seen a sprocket wore like this one and he hasn't either. I am sick and tired of spending money on this thing every time I turn around. I found 3 white 500's for $5099.00 each and once the XP is put back together I think it is time to part ways. I am going to loose my ass but damn!

Ronnie
So sorry to hear this has happened again. But, your experience with the XP, and my friends with his 04.5 500HO are why i bought the classic Sportsman.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post pics William? I use a work computer and when it comes to pictures it don't like it. I have a picture of it and if someone will PM and email address I will send it to them to post.

It is a never ending story William. I am so sick of all the motor problems with this 550. I will have a whole new top end now so when is the bottom end going to let go. That white 500 is looking better every minute.

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Can you post pics William? I use a work computer and when it comes to pictures it don't like it. I have a picture of it and if someone will PM and email address I will send it to them to post.

It is a never ending story William. I am so sick of all the motor problems with this 550. I will have a whole new top end now so when is the bottom end going to let go. That white 500 is looking better every minute.

Ronnie
Check your pm, will be glad to post.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
With the new 570 out, you should get an awesome deal on a 500.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Ronnie

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks William for posting the picture. Not many teeth left on the left side. Anybody ever seen anything like this.

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks William for posting the picture. Not many teeth left on the left side. Anybody ever seen anything like this.

Ronnie
No worries Ronnie!! If i win the lotto, i will fly down, treat you to a new quad, and we can blow your xp up!! Or target practice?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks like it's a runout problem with the cam or possibly the hole in the sprocket. If either one are off axis toward the bottom, it would create a wobble that would probably wear the teeth like that.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Makes me glad I bought the 850. Ronnie's story is a scary tale of despair. I never liked the single cyliners I owned (Honda Ranchers). They just seem like they are beating themselves to death to make HP and I hate that single cylinder noise. Though the Honda hardly makes any HP compared to a Polaris of equal displacement. The 850 just growls along effortlessly....the only issue I have at this point is the squeaky suspension...not sure what the cause of that is (have to guess a rubber bushing somewhere). Seems like people have nothing but problems or no problems (or few). No rhytm or reason.

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
Looks like you maybe discovered the source of all your problems you've been having with it. I've never seen a sprocket wear unevenly like that, but it had to be playing hell with the timing chain and everything associated with it. I can definitely understand your frustration with your 550 and why you are ready to be done with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
the squeaky suspension...not sure what the cause of that is (have to guess a rubber bushing somewhere).
I have the same deal. I'm also wondering if it's not the rubber grommets squeaking against paint. One of these days when it cools off and I'm feeling industrious, I may back the nuts off far enough to shoot some Fluid Film under them and see if that's what it is. I have to do the same thing to the rubber bumpers on my pickup tailgate. The thing will drive you nuts driving down the road from the rubber squeaking on the paint where it meets the bed. The FF knocks it out for several months before needing to be reapplied.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
the squeaky suspension...not sure what the cause of that is (have to guess a rubber bushing somewhere).
I have the same deal. I'm also wondering if it's not the rubber grommets squeaking against paint. One of these days when it cools off and I'm feeling industrious, I may back the nuts off far enough to shoot some Fluid Film under them and see if that's what it is. I have to do the same thing to the rubber bumpers on my pickup tailgate. The thing will drive you nuts driving down the road from the rubber squeaking on the paint where it meets the bed. The FF knocks it out for several months before needing to be reapplied.
Mine used to squeak like that. it eventually went away. think its the paint on the sway bar rubbing on the bushing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Mine used to squeak like that. it eventually went away. think its the paint on the sway bar rubbing on the bushing.
Im thinking about doing away with my sway bars anyway...I did silicone the hell out of the machine and it did improve so you may be onto something...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like you maybe discovered the source of all your problems you've been having with it. I've never seen a sprocket wear unevenly like that, but it had to be playing hell with the timing chain and everything associated with it. I can definitely understand your frustration with your 550 and why you are ready to be done with it.
I am not sure this is the cause of all the valve problems. This is the first time the sprocket has looked like this per the mechanic and he is a very good mechanic. He looked at everything and there are no wear marks or nothing on the chain. He said the chain doesn't have any damage at all. Going back to a base model sure would be alot softer on my wallet. It just depends on what the dealer wants to do on a trade. I am sure it won't be good and if it isn't I will just sell it outright.

Ronnie

·
Registered
294 Posts
If the chain is harder than the sprocket, there may not be any wear marks on the chain. Something sure ate it.

I would be wanting runout on the shaft and sprocket checked.

That sprocket isn't bent, is it? He check the camshaft to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it?

Pretty odd that the ground teeth are about 180 out but you can see where some of the others were starting to hook on one side.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Polaris must be moonlighting as a manufacturer of Parade Clown Bikes....I knew I saw that sprocket on the 4th of July....

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
I am not sure this is the cause of all the valve problems. This is the first time the sprocket has looked like this per the mechanic and he is a very good mechanic. He looked at everything and there are no wear marks or nothing on the chain. He said the chain doesn't have any damage at all. Going back to a base model sure would be alot softer on my wallet. It just depends on what the dealer wants to do on a trade. I am sure it won't be good and if it isn't I will just sell it outright.

Ronnie
My thought was that your timing had to be changing slightly with every revolution, which isn't good for anything. I don't know, but somehow I'm thinking that it is all tied together.
I would be taking a look at the new 570. Better yet, I could sell you my wife's 500 and buy her a 570 with EPS. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the chain is harder than the sprocket, there may not be any wear marks on the chain. Something sure ate it.

I would be wanting runout on the shaft and sprocket checked.

That sprocket isn't bent, is it? He check the camshaft to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it?

Pretty odd that the ground teeth are about 180 out but you can see where some of the others were starting to hook on one side.
I did not even look to see if it was bent or not. It was laying on his work bench and I didn't even pick it up. We just looked at the teeth and took a picture. The cam is brand new along with everything else in the top end and it makes me wonder if the sprocket did not get put back on correctly or something else wasn't done right.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts