Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
l side case on sportsman 500 2000 model . behind tstat housing has a cover w/3 8mm bolts. it is spring loaded. my booboo was i pulled it out just far enough that it wont go back in. not funny but lol anyway.. now i need to know how bad of a booboo was it. can i fix it or not. i dont even know what the thing is. i really need help here. i dont have a manual to this atv. my wifes buggy btw she drove it to far from home and got it overheated to the point where it shut itself off. not good i know! just got this cheap and she got a lil bit excited and well u know the rest. have'nt tried to start it after oil change . was searching for overheat problem when i pulled that cover off and my search came to an end. before i tried to pull her home after overheating far from home had to jump staRT IT AND THE ATV STARTED AFTER SEVERAL TRIES AND SHE WAS RATTLING BADLY AND SCREAMING MY METAL HURTS PRETTY LOUD ALSO. MAY BE PARTING IT OUT IF I cant fix it cheap. just put new tires on rear dont have 4 hrs of ride time on em either. hate myself for leaving keys in it while i was gone. can anyone help by telling me wth that is in pic ? thanks for looking. flatcroaker.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I believe that's the camshaft decompression mechanism to make it start easier.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
That's the auto-decompressor actuator - it can be reinstalled and at worst might require camshaft removal. @polman500 might be better able to answer this than myself. I know what it is, but I've only serviced one in my career and that was many years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts