Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 04 predator 500 for 2000. Seems to be in pretty decent condition. It had been sittiing for a while but it started right up with a battery. It ran ok but it would bog down an cut out. I would ride it down the street and it would be fine all the way to half throttle, but when you try to jam down on the gas it spits and sputters and then starts pulling like a raped ape. So I figured I would take apart the carb and clean it. While takin it apart I noticed it looked pretty clean. Put it all back together(99% sure everything was put back correctly) and now it runs worse!:hmmm:

Now if you try to rev it fast or to full throttle it cuts out and acts like it wants to die. Any ideas, did I just get shafted big time?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds like you need to go through the carb again and make sure it is right

·
Registered
33 Posts
My uncle had a similar problem. It appears (at least in his case) that the float in the carb could be sticking. With my uncle, he used the wrong type (and wrong amount) of oil on his air filter. In turn, the excess oil was sucked into his carb and made the float stick. A few taps on the float area with a wrench freed it right up. Unfortunately he has to do this little trick every time we ride, but only to free it up initially. Until he takes apart the carb and gives it a proper cleaning, I feel this problem with continue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did u drain all the old gas mine did the same after sittin for a month drained the gas and added Lucas fuel treatment fixed the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts