Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2013 sportsman 500 with plans to put mud tires on it, problem is, it is bone stock and has only 24 miles on it and i found the front axle tore up. boot is still on but tug on the axle and you feel that it is clearly broken. I went through one mud hole. I have experience mud riding so its not my fault. Is it just mine or is this a normal?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It can happen. I broke one on an XP and was just climbing out of a set of ruts. The thing is that it was likely stressed somewhere else.

If your going to do lots of mud with big tires then you need to put better axles in anyways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know. i was gunna run mud tires with stock axles until they broke the put on gorillas but iv never seen it happen with stock tires with such low miles. iv had it 3 days

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It happens most of the time when you are yanking side to side on the handle bars when you are stuck. It can happen, it shouldn't but it can. Smile, replace the axles and get out there and have a ball.

Like I said I broke mine getting out of ruts and it was like someone cut the axle with a cutting wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My stock axles lasted no more than 5 minutes after installing outlaws. If your going to lift or install mud tires, better off getting new axles before the stockers break so you can sell them to offset the cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've broke 3 on me new 2013 500ho. There cover under warranty but I hate keeping it in the shop. The dealership has been great so far but when is enough enough. No mods yet bone stock

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've broke 3 on me new 2013 500ho. There cover under warranty but I hate keeping it in the shop. The dealership has been great so far but when is enough enough. No mods yet bone stock
If you have a good dealer that makes things much easier to deal with.

I had 100 miles on the bike when I broke my first one.

Put 700 miles on with 30" zillas and just broke a rear outer CV joint, when realized I blew a front outer as well.

Have all 4 rhinos on order.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As far as axle choice goes, if you don't plan on running a lift you can get away with rhino axles or higlifter DHT axles. If you plan on running a lift, i don't recommend anything less than gorilla, highlifter pro-series, or turner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How many times should I have to put it in the shop. Does Polaris not have anything better. It would seem that they would address this issue if it is costing that much in warranty claims. I will think about HL pro after my warranty has expired ( or deal quits covering parts)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you plan on running mud tires on stock axles, you will have the atv at the dealership often. You are better off just getting this one warrentied, buy all new axles, and sell the stockers to offset the cost. If you wait till they quit getting warrentied, you will make no profit off a broken axle. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like '13's have some weak axles, dont recall reading here that '12's were breaking alot of axles, popo is getting cheaper and cheaper
reminds me when i owned a 2002 Grizzly, the '03's came out with weaker axles and were breaking all the time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts