Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a project, bad rod bearing and missing some parts, front diff needs rebuild. I am a novice mechanic and have played with a few older atvs, but by know means and expert.

This bike came in pieces and what was included was a FTP? or something like that muffler still on it has all these screws sticking out - I think it is a high proformace muffler/Tunable? Also had a box of DynoJet carb jets and stuff.
I know you may think I am nuts but I am 50yrs old and need to be putzing on stuff. LOL
Can someone tell me about this muffler and jetting stuff- I would rather find a stock muffler and but back if I could trade someone.
I had read in the past about people getting more from there stuff with aftermarket parts - but not sure on this.

The last atv I owned for my son was an 87 honda 200sx - so this is a much more up to date unit - alot of electronics too.

Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like a Supertrapp muffler with the tunable discs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a stock exhaust off of a 2003 sportsman 700. I have the y pipe, headpipe and muffler I would be interested in swapping you. I just pulled it and put on an 800 header and polaris slip on. It is in good shape, the machine has only 70 hours on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also I just got done jetting mine and it is very simple to do. I got a pretty decent gain with my setup but it will require some test and tune work on your part. I myself am getting to the point where I don't like loud anymore. The pure polaris I have on there is at the borderline of what I consider loud. I think my biggest gain was the 800 exhaust, the uni air filter and the 800 snorkel not so much the slip on muffler itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying that the stock exhaust if very loud.

I am in Michigan.

I can get pictures of what is on there and post, I will do that wed. evening.

I was assuming that the muffler is the only thing that looks aftermarket on mine the pipes look to be original, but the pictures will show them and you can tell me.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually I found some pics of it from the other day when I took it apart.
You cant see much of the muffler- but I will get a better one.
Also here is the parts I layed out- see the exhaust pipes are they OEM..

Hope the pics came out- kinda new at doing this stuff..

Well looks like it did not work- trying to load from Photobucket..
Will try later

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stock exhaust is very quiet. I went to a header pipe from an 800 and an aftermarket muffler and it is pretty loud but did gain some power. If you are wanting to stay quiet but still gain some power you could probably put the 800 header on and use the stock muffler. Either way I have a stock muffler I would be willing to trade for your aftermarket muffler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get some actual pics of the muffler and let you know- I would like to get this thing up and running ASAP- so will let you know soon, if I am too far over my head in this.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts