Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can anyone that has owned an 800 or 500 with the wider seat comment as to the difference in comfort level compared to the narrower 570?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Where does the extra 3 or 4$ go for a gallon of gas in Canada? We all pay the same price for it on open market ,then governments add on varying amount of taxes. I've never quite understood that. It can't be for roads and bridges at the rate??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's a government tax. The money goes to where ever they need it to go. Probably a mixture of infrastructure, health care, social programs etc. Regardless of where it goes I get angry every time I fill my truck and it costs me $120 compared to about $80 if I crossed the border and filled it in the US. I would that if I lived close but I live about 5 hours away from the closest border crossing.

Where does the extra 3 or 4$ go for a gallon of gas in Canada? We all pay the same price for it on open market ,then governments add on varying amount of taxes. I've never quite understood that. It can't be for roads and bridges at the rate??

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
As far as the seat question the 570 ' s seat is approximately 2" narrower (inch per side). Also I have read mixed reviews on the 570 seat one the stood out in particular was the comparison to riding on a 2x4. Where as the the 800 seat has been compared to riding on a couch. I will say the 800 is a very well mannered machine in every aspect.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the comparison. I think the older style bikes sound like they have the most comfortable seat.

I have two more questions I hope people can answer.

Do the 2014 800's have engine braking and descent control?
What are the seats like on the newer XP machines i.e. the 550 and 850 compared to the older style 800? Perhaps I should look at getting a 2014 550 xp with EPS and descent control.

------------------

As far as the seat question the 570 ' s seat is approximately 2" narrower (inch per side). Also I have read mixed reviews on the 570 seat one the stood out in particular was the comparison to riding on a 2x4. Where as the the 800 seat has been compared to riding on a couch. I will say the 800 is a very well mannered machine in every aspect.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. I think the older style bikes sound like they have the most comfortable seat.

I have two more questions I hope people can answer.

What are the seats like on the newer XP machines i.e. the 550 and 850 compared to the older style 800? Perhaps I should look at getting a 2014 550 xp with EPS and descent control.

------------------

Engine braking is an option. ADC is not available on the 800.
I do not have engine braking.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's a government tax. The money goes to where ever they need it to go. Probably a mixture of infrastructure, health care, social programs etc. Regardless of where it goes I get angry every time I fill my truck and it costs me $120 compared to about $80 if I crossed the border and filled it in the US. I would that if I lived close but I live about 5 hours away from the closest border crossing.

US oil companies get serious government subsidies which makes the cost per gallon domestically cheaper. If the oil industry based it's profits on global prices we would all be paying less than $1.25/gallon US. The profit per barrel stays the same globally.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

gotta help pay for govt health care somehow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

550 seems as comfortable as my old 700... never sat on an 800 so not sure there. I do like the narrower seat of the 550. 130+ mile rides on single tank are possible with 550 depending on speed and terain.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
When I went and sat on machines at the dealership I preferred the seat on the 570 to the seat on the 800 and the 550. I guess it's more of a to each their own thing. the 800 felt low, and the 550 was to narrow for my liking. I'm 6'5" and a lot of that is legs. so a narrow seat is less comfortable for me. for an example, the few times I've been horseback riding as an adult they put me on the Belgian draft horse instead of the quarter horses that everyone else got. to the OP, really you're going to have to sit on them and see which feels better to you. as for the 570 seat feeling firm. I'm sure it will at first and will break in some over time.

·
Registered
454 Posts

US oil companies get serious government subsidies which makes the cost per gallon domestically cheaper. If the oil industry based it's profits on global prices we would all be paying less than $1.25/gallon US. The profit per barrel stays the same globally.
I remember when it was under a dollar and thought it was painful filling up the 2 stroke boat that drank gas.

gotta help pay for govt health care somehow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
That's what I was wondering...if there are specific taxes for specific programs? Our gas tax is supposed to go to roads and transit with transit being the political hot potato. I thought the Canadians paid a specific healthcare tax. It's crazy how little I know about them given they are just a short drive away. Here when a tax affects all income levels, it becomes a political football as apposed to taxes that only affect certain groups. The taxes that affect everyone struggle to get passed. or even voted on. It makes me wonder how such a high tax on gasoline that affects everyone would have gotten passed in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good morning I am thinking of getting the 2014 sportsman 570 I have read a lot about overheating issues with the gas tank and heat around the right leg. I am new to the whole ATV thing and need help with deciding what to expect. Please give me some good advice thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Good morning I am thinking of getting the 2014 sportsman 570 I have read a lot about overheating issues with the gas tank and heat around the right leg. I am new to the whole ATV thing and need help with deciding what to expect. Please give me some good advice thanks
I suppose all anyone can suggest is that you maintain perspective.. Most of what you find on line, no matter what it is, is mostly going to be issues.. Thats why people come to forums.. They have a problem and they look for answers in places like this. So it appears that there are more people having problems than not because the thousands of happy owners don't come on and post that they're happy.. Thousands upon thousands of machines built and a few folks having a common issue is not a reason to run from a machine or any product for that matter.. Just ask the questions of your dealer and confirm that you're comfortable with their willingness to help you if something went wrong.. The underlying issue that is not always clear when a guy says he's having a problem with the machine or with the dealer is.. Was the problem created by the rider?.. Spend some time on here and you'll learn to read between the lines.. With the exception of an issue here or there that you know is legit because a few guys all have it.. Doesn't matter what brand of quad you're talking about.. You'd be surprised how many times it comes out in the wash that the rider is really the root cause of the problem(s)..

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
In addition to what Golf said,

doing your research is only a good place to start. more to the point, researching forums is a good way to understand what kind of problems could arise, and to determine the fixes for such. If you've done your research on the 570 you'll find that the issues that it's having with heat not only has a fix, but is often fixed at the dealership under warranty. The machines aren't over heating, but they are hot. as are 99% of all ATV's. Even my step son's 110cc machine gets hot. That being said. if you understand the issue, and know what to do to counteract them owning any machine seems to lose all the problems that people complain about.

Not only are a lot of the issues caused by the rider, many people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and blame the problem on the manufacturer or the dealer. "Parts are too weak because I have a heavy thumb and like to bash into/through things", is a common complaint. "my $$$$$ 800 lbs machine doesn't like being a submarine" is another. "I can't go fast anymore because I put massive oversized heavy tires on my 400". "My dealer wont fix my machine when the axles broke, I showed him pictures of my machine buried in the mud hole where they broke. The mud was only up to the rear fenders."

Don't get me wrong. some times things happen. and parts break. But part of the understanding that you need to have when you come into owning an ATV that you take off road in adverse conditions is that things break. Especially if you like to push the limits. So if you can't afford to fix things if they break than you probably can't afford to get the machine in the first place. But if you can, and you're willing to put the time, effort, and $ into setting the machine up for your preferred usage any machine can do what you ask it to. You'll be surprised at what these machines are capable of even stock.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
I suppose all anyone can suggest is that you maintain perspective.. Most of what you find on line, no matter what it is, is mostly going to be issues.. Thats why people come to forums.. They have a problem and they look for answers in places like this. So it appears that there are more people having problems than not because the thousands of happy owners don't come on and post that their happy.. Thousands upon thousands of machines built and a few folks having a common issue is not a reason to run from a machine or any product for that matter.. Just ask the questions of your dealer and confirm that you're comfortable with their willingness to help you if something went wrong.. The underlying issue that is not always clear when a guy says he's having a problem with the machine or with the dealer is.. Was the problem created by the rider?.. Spend some time on here and you'll learn to read between the lines.. With the exception of an issue here or there that you know is legit because a few guys all have it.. Doesn't matter what brand of quad you're talking about.. You'd be surprised how many times it comes out in the wash that the rider is really the root cause of the problem(s)..
In addition to what Golf said,

doing your research is only a good place to start. more to the point, researching forums is a good way to understand what kind of problems could arise, and to determine the fixes for such. If you've done your research on the 570 you'll find that the issues that it's having with heat not only has a fix, but is often fixed at the dealership under warranty. The machines aren't over heating, but they are hot. as are 99% of all ATV's. Even my step son's 110cc machine gets hot. That being said. if you understand the issue, and know what to do to counteract them owning any machine seems to lose all the problems that people complain about.

Not only are a lot of the issues caused by the rider, many people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and blame the problem on the manufacturer or the dealer. "Parts are too weak because I have a heavy thumb and like to bash into/through things", is a common complaint. "my $$$$$ 800 lbs machine doesn't like being a submarine" is another. "I can't go fast anymore because I put massive oversized heavy tires on my 400". "My dealer wont fix my machine when the axles broke, I showed him pictures of my machine buried in the mud hole where they broke. The mud was only up to the rear fenders."

Don't get me wrong. some times things happen. and parts break. But part of the understanding that you need to have when you come into owning an ATV that you take off road in adverse conditions is that things break. Especially if you like to push the limits. So if you can't afford to fix things if they break than you probably can't afford to get the machine in the first place. But if you can, and you're willing to put the time, effort, and $ into setting the machine up for your preferred usage any machine can do what you ask it to. You'll be surprised at what these machines are capable of even stock.
Well said gentlemen!

·
Registered
7 Posts
ThorsHammer & golf12 thank you both for your input and advice. I am very interested in the the information you provided it helps me a lot. I have saw quite a few posts by people who have not been totally honest about the problem they are having. I was a little concerned about the seat becoming so warm that it melted. I am happy with the dealership so far I'm pretty sure that they are going to stand behind what they sell and like you said if it's a issue not caused by doing stupid things. My main use of this is for hunting I'm disabled and can't walk long distance and so I haven't been able to enjoy it for a long time. I feel like this will be the best way to get out into the woods and do what I enjoy doing. Thanks again for your help and advice.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The 500, 700, and 800 are pretty much the same machine except the motor. Glad to hear you found the 550 as comfortable as the 700. I am impressed with the possible range of the 550.

Decisions decisions.

550 seems as comfortable as my old 700... never sat on an 800 so not sure there. I do like the narrower seat of the 550. 130+ mile rides on single tank are possible with 550 depending on speed and terain.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
550xp vs 550xp touring

The more I read on this forum and other web sites I think an XP type machine might be the way to go. I'm leaning to a 550 because of the fuel range. Is there a big difference in ride and handling between the 550 and 550 touring?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just finished picking up my new Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI. I was totally surprised at the power. I took it for a short ride after I got home I was amazed at the quality of the ride very smooth not stiff like the one that I road years ago. The difference in ride was like a log truck and a Cadillac. The throttle is very touchy but the longer I road it the more I got used to it. It will take some time to completely get used to driving it. I must say that I am totally impressed with this 570. The independent suspension, gives it a very nice ride. The seat is firm but sits nice and doesn't make your butt hurt from sitting on it for about an hour or so. I was wondering if I should get a winch for it in the near future or is that something that you don't really need to have. I am hoping that I enjoy the 570 for years to come.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts