Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a brand new '14 400ho a week ago and I noticed while riding it today that going over whooped out/bouncy sections of trail makes the belt scrub the inside of the cover. It's fine on smoother parts of trail. Is this normal?

·
Registered
424 Posts
How hard are you riding these whooped out trails?? Could be an issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm not going "fat woman on the tri-cart at Walmart" slow but I'm not hammering it full throttle. Does that mean the belt will slap around in there and scrub the cover briefly if you shake the quad up pretty well?

·
Registered
900 Posts
In my opinion, if the belt ever hits the clutch cover, it's either too long or too loose. Driving style is irrelevant.....

·
Registered
424 Posts
In my opinion, if the belt ever hits the clutch cover, it's either too long or too loose. Driving style is irrelevant.....
You best listen to this post it's obvious Kevcules knows all there is to know about riding style and it's effect on your machine, style has NO effect on your machine performance!! Wise advice here!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't removed the cover to verify the rubbing. It's got 4.7 hours on it and it's my first 4-wheeler so I could be completely off base. It sounded to me like tires rubbing but there's no evidence of this under the wheelwells and I wasn't going hard enough to bottom out. I'm wondering if something,like the belt,hasn't seated yet being so new?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Riding style may or may not have anything to do with rubbing the belt cover but it has everything to do with what you hear and how the machine handles it. I didn't say the style was the source of the noise but I was merely asking how the machine was being ridden to determine the noise/rubbing issue if you ride rough "expect" issues, if you ride reasonable then it may be a problem that is covered by warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and let them handle it. It should be covered. My dad had belt slippage on his 2013 400 under a heavy load in the deep mud with 27" tires. It ended up stretching the belt and causied it to deteriorate within the CVT case. After a few hard rides and ignoring the issue the dilapidated belt under the constant high-speed rotation wore a hole into the CVT housing and grenaded once water and debris entered the hot CVT case. I would nip it in the butt asap.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
While I agree riding style normally doesn't have any effect on the scrubbing of the belt cover it does happen. If you are going over a bump and decelerating at the same time it does put a bit of slack in the belt that will hit the top of the cover. This is normally due to the secondary clutch being dirty or the buttons getting worn and it does not close as fast as the primary opens leading to slack in the belt. The noise can also be caused by flat spots on the belt as well that cause the same symptoms.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I haven't removed the cover to verify the rubbing. It's got 4.7 hours on it and it's my first 4-wheeler so I could be completely off base. It sounded to me like tires rubbing but there's no evidence of this under the wheelwells and I wasn't going hard enough to bottom out. I'm wondering if something,like the belt,hasn't seated yet being so new?
The OP does NOT know the source of the noise, belt rub was a guess by a newbie, he also mentioned tire rub, my line of questioning into riding style was to help narrow down what the problem/noise may be. Another question that may help is how big the rider is? Are these the stock tires? Need more background in order to help. But since it is so new perhaps a trip back to the dealer to figure it out may be in order.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Despite watching numerous episodes of The Fall Guy back in the 80's my ability to hang off the side of a moving Polaris to isolate and pinpoint a specific noise without doing myself great harm leaves alot to be desired. However, after reading through the info you guys have posted about the symptoms (such as creep or belt noise idling etc..) of an ill-fitting or otherwise damaged belt I realized the culprit may be elsewhere. Since it only made the noise when the suspension was being taxed I took a can of WD-40 and carefully applied it to any moving bushing or connecting point that wasn't serviced by a grease fitting taking special care to avoid overspray on the brake rotors. Something rubbery had a severe case of stiction because this cured it completely. Thanks for your input and patience with us Newbies. Polaris should pay some of you for the help you give.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yup nothing worse than a dry rubber...... can cause some problems... and some nasty chaffing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yup nothing worse than a dry rubber...... can cause some problems... and some nasty chaffing.
Rotflmao.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts