Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I recently bought a 2014 550 EPS two seater. We got the power steering model because the 400 Outlander Max we used to drive was a bit rough as the steering would kick back a lot on bumpy trails and the steering was rather heavy for my wife. So far we have only driven it once, but it is nice. It handles well on bumpy trails.

So far the only thing I have to complain about is that the rear seat is a bit small for a full sized adult. We plan on adding a windshield, winch and trailer hitch.

Ranb

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board! And go Seahawks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm near Belfair. Two miles from the trails. Has anyone here registered their ATV for use on roads to avoid the hassle of loading it on a trailer or pickup to bring to the woods?

Ranb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Was out in the Tahuya State Forest for the weekly ride with my wife. We parked at the Sand Hill access and made our way to the Elfendahl Pass lot and ran around the Tahuya River Trail for a while. On our way back to Sand Hill on the Mission Creek trail we saw a boy next to a small dirt bike. I paused to ask if he was ok and he replied that his friend was up the trail a bit. We drove on and when I looked back I saw him pushing the small bike up the hill. I turned around and asked if the bike was running. He said it had stalled on the trail the previous day and he was back out to retrieve it.

I offered him a ride. He had a ratchet strap which I presume he had intended to use to be towed by his friend's larger bike once they got to Goat Ranch Road (I think that was the road). We put the little Honda 80 on the front cargo box of my ATV and tied it down the best we could. Myself, my 100 pound wife, the kid and his bike weighed in excess of 550 pounds I'm sure, close to the 575 lbs capacity. We went about a mile up and down hills with tight turns between trees at about 1-5 mph. It was not fun but while we were more tippy, I never came close to turning over.

We passed the boy's companion on the trail, I suppose they were going to take turns pushing the bike on the trail until they got to the road. Once we got the to the dirt road everything was fine and I was able to speed up to about 20 mph in high gear. Once we got to the parking lot there was much thanks; said they were welcome as I had to depend on the kindness of others in the woods/trails in the past.

When we got back to Sand Hill access, I saw a guy with a Honda Fat Cat; an older bike made from the front end of a 3-wheel ATV with fat tires front and back. I went over to chat with him about his bike as I am interested in a small dirt bike that handles well at low speed on muddy trails. I mentioned hauling the kid and his bike out of the forest; he heard that the kid was lost on the trail when his bike quit running. Getting lost out there would suck, especially if it happens when your bike quits, or at night. The Fat Cat owner let me take his bike for a short spin around the gravel pit. It was slippery handling on the small smooth rocks but he said it was very good in the dirt and mud. Might have to get me one of those some day.

Ranb

·
Registered
752 Posts
is it a X2 or a touring? I am thinking about one...the only thing keeping me from it is all the horror stories on the 550 engine and valves.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What's up man. I ride tahuya all the time. The trails can be a bit tight for the bigger quads, the jeep trail is fun also. Hope to see you out there sometime. We have a big gang of Polaris riders

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 2-seat. They replaced the 550 with a 570 as far as I know. It is 50" wide so the 48" bridges are a no go until we get something smaller. We are the only red 2-seat ATV I've seen out there. I'm only about 2 miles away from the Sand Hill access. Very convenient.

Ranb

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the forum.My wife and I bought the same one a couple months ago and we love it.She's about 5'4 and can't quite reach the foot rests so I'll be looking at getting some extensions in the near future.Heading out to camp later on today for some riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 4'8" wife's short legs are barely long enough to reach the 550 EPS foot rests with her feet flat. She loves the power steering.

Randy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife and I decided to change over to a Can Am 450 Outlander Max which is only 46" wide and can cross all of the bridges in the Tahuya forest. The 47.6" wide Polaris 550 EPS is too wide to cross the narrower bridges but we were willing to back track on the trails to get around the bridges; not driving through the streams.

With the new barriers going up in the Tahuya forest which are only about 47" wide, it was getting harder to get around, so we brought the Polaris to Minnesota where we vacation twice a year.

I decided to stiffen the front and rear suspension as far as possible due to the bumpier trails (like RR tracks). When riding 2-up my wife never exceeds 15 mph and I never go faster than 35. It is only when riding alone and faster on the bumpier trails that I notice the stiffer suspension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts