Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this being my first Polaris and all. How much noise should come from under the hood so to speek? In low at a lor throttle setting there is a bunch, bit of strange noise thate goes away at a higher speed, rpm. I'm presuming belt noise..

I really like it in the 35 miles I've put on it. Much nicer than my 86 honda trx350 that I had since new....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured that since it was new, that this is the noise it is supposed to make,, just askin... THanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes it's a common noise..I was worried at first since it was the first 550 my dealer had sold be after giving the other 4 550s in his inventory a drive around the dealership they all were the same..it's a very nice machine enjoy..I will say that the 850xp engine is totally different in sound..it is very smooth..no vibrating while at idle. And is actually quieter while riding..just couldn't muster up the coin for a 850 when a rzr was in the same price range

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes it's a common noise..I was worried at first since it was the first 550 my dealer had sold be after giving the other 4 550s in his inventory a drive around the dealership they all were the same..it's a very nice machine enjoy..I will say that the 850xp engine is totally different in sound..it is very smooth..no vibrating while at idle. And is actually quieter while riding..just couldn't muster up the coin for a 850 when a rzr was in the same price range
dbmachine is right. My 850 runs very smooth and relatively quiet. I've read some reviews on line and they all pretty much say it vibrates because it's a big single cylinder and very torquey.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That makes me feel a little better, I have some clunking at low speeds, good to know that more than likely it's normal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You did good. The 550 is bullet proof and has the same load and work capacity as the 850. The X2 is in its own leage on what it can do and also rides better with the longer wheel base.
After owning a X2 for a while, I could never not have one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You did good. The 550 is bullet proof and has the same load and work capacity as the 850. The X2 is in its own leage on what it can do and also rides better with the longer wheel base.
After owning a X2 for a while, I could never not have one.
Ditto for me. I love my X2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts