Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know, take it to the dealer, but if it's something simple I'd like to avoid the hassle.
I have a '21 570 EFI, and for some reason it bogs down/sounds like it's not getting enough spark or fuel, or something I'm unaware of. It was doing it a little when riding around 4800 rpms, and now I've noticed it doing it around 3800-4200 as well. When it does this, if I give it more throttle, it picks back up and does fine. I ran the gas out and put new gas in, no water in it, for sure. Air filter seems Sealed tight. Any ideas?

·
12,222 Posts
Check to see what kind of charging/voltage readings you get on the battery leads at the RPM range you say it "bogs".
If it don't do it in N or P and only feels like it bogs while under load and at speed then it may be a clutching or belt thing.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see what kind of charging/voltage readings you get on the battery leads at the RPM range you say it "bogs".
If it don't do it in N or P and only feels like it bogs while under load and at speed then it may be a clutching or belt thing.
Let us know what you find.
Ooh, good thought, I checked that but only at idle. I will do that either later today or tomorrow and check back. Thanks for the input!!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts
Voltage stayed the same. Right around 14.3-14.5
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

Reactions: 21polaris

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
When you are letting off the throttle or coasting the EBS system is actavating and slowing you down. Do you have any previous riding experence on a Polaris with EBS? When you go throttle up it disengauges.

Reactions: 21polaris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you are letting off the throttle or coasting the EBS system is actavating and slowing you down. Do you have any previous riding experence on a Polaris with EBS?
Yes I do, not a ton, but I do. The "bogging down" is while throttle is roughly 1/4, half way held down. Runs just fine idle, full throttle, or varying throttle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you are letting off the throttle or coasting the EBS system is actavating and slowing you down. Do you have any previous riding experence on a Polaris with EBS? When you go throttle up it disengauges.
Appreciate the reply to the fullest, but it is certainly not the EBS (feel like I sound rude, but I don't mean to, just ruling that out lol)

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
Head Scratch.gif

·
12,222 Posts
Yes I do, not a ton, but I do. The "bogging down" is while throttle is roughly 1/4, half way held down. Runs just fine idle, full throttle, or varying throttle.
What you describe sounds like a dead spot in the TPS to me. It happens.
Dead spots or stumbles at a particular spot in the throttle travel is a pretty good sign that may be the culprit. Put it in N or P and with the machine warmed up to operating temp, VERY SLOWLY increase throttle through its full range and see if it has one or more dead spots or a spot where it skips or stumbles. You can better check that voltage output is smooth throughout the full range of travel with an analog meter attached to a test harness to see any voltage spikes or drops but it can be done by ear as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you describe sounds like a dead spot in the TPS to me. It happens.
Dead spots or stumbles at a particular spot in the throttle travel is a pretty good sign that may be the culprit. Put it in N or P and with the machine warmed up to operating temp, VERY SLOWLY increase throttle through its full range and see if it has one or more dead spots or a spot where it skips or stumbles. You can better check that voltage output is smooth throughout the full range of travel with an analog meter attached to a test harness to see any voltage spikes or drops but it can be done by ear as well.
Thanks again for the input. I was trying this earlier and I want to say it does have 1+ dead spots where it skips or stumbles. I do not however, have an analog meter/test harness, but is this something worth taking to a deal to get fixed?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes get it fixed. If the dead spot is because of the throttle position sensor, it maybe in the beginning of failing. Better to replace it than fail on the trail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes get it fixed. If the dead spot is because of the throttle position sensor, it maybe in the beginning of failing. Better to replace it than fail on the trail.
I agree. Also curious if this is something that should cause a check engine light to come on? (Mine hasn't) but from what I've seen on this thread and read online thus far, certainly sounds like that could be the culprit.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,333 Posts
I agree. Also curious if this is something that should cause a check engine light to come on? (Mine hasn't) but from what I've seen on this thread and read online thus far, certainly sounds like that could be the culprit.
I’m wondering if the dealers Digital Wrench diagnostics can specifically test the TPS in all ranges to confirm a “flat spot”.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate it guys, if anyone has other ideas feel free to share, in the meantime I'll look into getting it into the dealer and get it worked out!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Even if you can fix it yourself relatively cheap and easily I would have the dealer do it so it's documented. If it continues near the end of your warranty or just after warranty expires you might still get some help if you have a good dealer, since they have documented it's an ongoing problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts