Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 sportsman 800... waiting for its arrival, I have till I receive the atv to make up my mind if i want to get a winch from Polaris or not, right now im leaning to buying a warn just for prices/quality... so heres my situation my dealer wont move on listed prices for a polaris winch except for free install, book price for a 3500lb is $600, 2500lb is $460, warn 3.0 rt is $680... now i can go to a local warn dealer and get the same lb pull winch for close to the same price excluding install/mount plate ex. provantage 3500-s $628... so 3 questions 1) do i forget about the polaris winch and go warn 2) what is the difference between warns model line up (rt,provantage,vantage) 3) will i have fitment issues on certain models/lbs of warn winches? or will they all fit on my 800?.... these are canadian prices, thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
Supposedly Warn makes the Polaris winch I don't know , but I bought the 2500lb polaris winch with my machine. It works well and I have no complaints. There are a lot of good winches out there at way better prices . I personally think the WARN THING is over hyped and a lot of advertising propaganda. The machines come prewired for the winch and if you go to say KFI they will hook you up with everything you need for your specific install for half the price or better. What ever way you go I suggest getting synthetic rope, a hawse fairlead and fairlead protector from the get go and save yourself the headache of dealing with the metal cable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have a promark xtr 3000 on mine. Only cost $275ish with the mount. Been used hard in every condition possible. Definitely look around before spending the cash.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think people over react about warn winches, I've had a 10 year old 2500lbs super winch on one of my polaris and it outlasted my cousins warn winch which burnt out last fall, mine just burnt out a couple months ago because the terminals twisted inside the housing when I tried retightening the connections when putting on the bumper. I'll be investing in a new promax 2500lbs plus winch for my new 570 which comes with everything including a 50' synthetic rope for $199 the only thing it doesn't include is a mount plate. All my riding buddy's have promax winches and I have to say they are the best value winch out there other than power fist (canadian princess auto brand). I'm not sure about the new superwinch's since I haven't owned one but I can say that I would still own my old superwinch's if the original owner would have been smart and put electrical grease on the terminals to prevent them from seizing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Superwinch Terra 35 FTMFW
I got mine off of Amazon for like $190 shipped.

I hooked the back of my quad to a tree today and pulled a 3/4 ton Dodge crew cab diesel back on to a snow covered trail today. Slid the back end of his truck about four feet across ruts. No chit!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a falcon 2500 on my 800 i got it brand new for 135.00 usd on ebay and works great so far. Pulled me out a cpl times, use it all the time for plowing and pulled a big tree off the trail with it all with no problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input... so doesnt look like im going for a polaris winch, I thought the price was pretty steap compared to whats out there, and dealer said it had 6 month warranty. Warn has lifetime on mechanical and 3 years on electrical for the provantage which is why i was leaning towards warn.... But ill be looking into the above winches that were mentioned, i just dont want a winch to fail me when i need it so i figure pay now and be happy when the time comes to use it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Reaper on bringing up this topic.

I'm in the same boat with a '13 850 xp ho. The dealer I purchased the ride from will sell me a polaris 3500 for $525, (tax and all), out the door and I'll do the mounting.

Comments from friends are leaning towards a warn 3500 and a kfi stealth 4500.

Every heavy duty truck in my company is outfitted with a warn so I know a little about them. I have a light vehicle not fitted with one.

So does anyone have any thoughts on the KFI?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem, from my research warn is overpriced and big on advertising which is why everyone knows about them and buys there product, still a good winch just other winches have the same quality for less.... I'm gonna be going superwinch half the price and from everything I read about superwinch it's just as good. Half the price of Polaris and better warranty than a polaris

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
I bought the warn rt3.0 from the dealer when I bought me wheeler. warn is definitely the best winch on the market hands down. the only complaint about them is their price. if u want the best u have to pay for it. my winch cost me $540 from the dealer and I did the install. recently I did a synthetic rope and aluminum haus fairlead up grade. don't quote me but I think the pro-vantage and xt warn models have synthetic ropes, I would stick to those models so u don't have to upgrade to the synthetic rope down the road.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Man, I don't know where you guys price out your winches at, but you are getting some stupid high pricing. A 2,500 lb winch is plenty for an ATV, but many think bigger is better and don't mind spending the extra $$$ for it. I also believe you get what you pay for with a winch, and when you need it, you usually need it bad, so I don't want to have to worry if it will work or not. WARN is tops in my book.
Look here for good prices.

Warn ATV Winch and UTV Winch - Huge Savings | 4WheelOnline.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We used a 4500 lb to pull 2 moose out last year the winch struggled In a couple spots where it wouldn't pull... but other than that it took down small trees that were in the way as it dragged the moose out and up a hill on a steep grade I was in impressed with the 4500 lb but the fact it maxed the winch in a couple spots I do think bigger is better... Some can argue double block it, clear a path for the moose ect... but a single line pull from that 4500lb saved us a lot of work and we still didn't get out of the Bush till midnight, I truly believe it saved us hours of work over having a 2500lb..... so my winch isn't only gonna be used to pull myself out in stuck situations.... Also these are Canadian price I posted up you have better Canadian prices let me know we always get gouged

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
We used a 4500 lb to pull 2 moose out last year the winch struggled In a couple spots where it wouldn't pull... but other than that it took down small trees that were in the way as it dragged the moose out and up a hill on a steep grade I was in impressed with the 4500 lb but the fact it maxed the winch in a couple spots I do think bigger is better... Some can argue double block it, clear a path for the moose ect... but a single line pull from that 4500lb saved us a lot of work and we still didn't get out of the Bush till midnight, I truly believe it saved us hours of work over having a 2500lb..... so my winch isn't only gonna be used to pull myself out in stuck situations.... Also these are Canadian price I posted up you have better Canadian prices let me know we always get gouged
My price from the dealer was on the money . I would have saved $15 dollars if I went to the internet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Promark

GOT A 2013 800 PUT ONA 3000LBS PROMARK WITH THE PROMARK BRACKET ON SALE 200.00 WITH SHIPING,LIFT TIME WARRANTY,COMES WITH 2 SWITCHS.AND IF YOU HAVE A FAILURE OF A PART THEY WILL JUST SEND IT TO YOU FREE.DRIVE SHAFT WAS SLIPING PLOWING THEY SENT ME A UPDATED ONE FREE.WORKS OK NOW SAVE YOUR MONEY GO PROMARK.:veryhappy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts