Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys & gals,

This will be my first time to own an ATV.

I am concerned that many posts are talking about the 850 and Polaris 4 wheelers in general needing alot of work even though they are brand new machines. I had decided between Suzuki and Polaris and chose Polaris.

What are the pros and cons of owning a 850 ?

My primary use will be for fishing and hunting and mostly for plowing snow in the winter.

I posted an introduction in the new members area but this one is more detailed.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
So far my Polaris has had less problems than a Honda Rancher I had with the Electric Shift that gave me fit's. The XP-850 has more features that may give problem's later on but so far my 850 has been great except for the fuel mileage. Can't comment on the Suzuki but have heard great thing's about them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Should be no more problem or no more maintenance than any other brand.
I have also experienced poor fuel mileage.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i am getting 18 mpg unless in low range in mud. what are you guys getting?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been getting 14 mpg and the most common problem with any Polaris is with the belts breaking.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I also have noticed my fuel mileage isn't very good but it's getting better. I think the engine just has a long break-in period.

As far as maintenance and problems, absolutely no troubles so far. Everythings looks easily reachable easy to maintain. But as PawPaw stated it does have more features so more chance of something breaking but if all you're doing is riding it for fishing hunting and some plowing you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Also if that's all you're planning on doing with it you might want to look at the 550. Little better mileage and a bit cheaper.

As far as the 850, I LOVE IT!!! I wouldn't trade it in on anything.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If I get 18mpg like my 4x4 pickup I'd be satisfied. Getting about 14-15 now but only have a little over a hundred miles on it so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is another variable like snow plowing.

How much m.p.g. the ATV burns while plowing snow. ( Please see ATV ratings thread )

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello guys & gals,

This will be my first time to own an ATV.

I am concerned that many posts are talking about the 850 and Polaris 4 wheelers in general needing alot of work even though they are brand new machines. I had decided between Suzuki and Polaris and chose Polaris.

What are the pros and cons of owning a 850 ?

My primary use will be for fishing and hunting and mostly for plowing snow in the winter.

I posted an introduction in the new members area but this one is more detailed.

Thank you. :)
Same thing I did you made a good choice with the polaris.I kept kicking it around wanted more MPG from the polaris finally decided on a good fuel pack. Plowing snow should work good if the plow is set up correct.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the rotopax on order Im not sure where im going to mount thinking on the rear of the xp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the rotopax on order Im not sure where im going to mount thinking on the rear of the xp
Thank you that is a real blessing because I was trying to figure out what I am going to do when run out of gas in the woods ?

That would be cool being able to drive the 4 wheeler in style. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts