Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I recently picked up a 91 Polaris Trail Boss 350L 2X4 quad.

Quad had been sitting in a garage for roughly 3 years not being used.

Bottom end was locked up when I got, recently got it unstuck and got it to start and run.

To get the bottom end unstuck I pulled top end and soaked bottom end in diesel fuel for a couple days. then rotated crank back and forth.
I beieve the bearings were stuck.

I have a couple things I need help with if possible.

Front and back brakes dont work. ( possibly bleed them???) not sure how to?

Wont stay idle without holding throttle a little bit. ( carb cleaned?)

I also pulled the pull start housing and pulled magneto, cleaned that and the stator.

Now after just putting around the yard a little bit I noticed the seal behind the magneto had been leaking coolant into pull start housing when I pulled it off again.

was wondering if I could just pop seal out and replace it without pulling case apart? and what seal it would be called?

I just want to get this bike running good and safe.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Front and back brakes dont work. ( possibly bleed them???) not sure how to? Simple hydraulic brake system, same as used on cars; start with a bleed.

Wont stay idle without holding throttle a little bit. ( carb cleaned?) Idle jets are clogged, you will need to remove and thoroughly clean the carb; pay special attention to the idle jets and ALL the tiny holes in them.

Now after just putting around the yard a little bit I noticed the seal behind the magneto had been leaking coolant into pull start housing when I pulled it off again. I don't think the case need split to fix the leak; should just be the water pump gasket leaking.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hopefully, you drained and refilled the counterbalancer.
The water pump seal , if i remember, is a split case deal.
You could try adjusting the electric throttle control,for the idle,pop the top on the thumb throttle and make sure there is a 1/8" gap on the contacts. if that doesn't help and you've tried adjusting the the air-mix screw on the carb. ,then it may be time for a needle valve and seat.
Bleeding brakes, start at the rear,bleed until clean and bubble free, then right front, then left

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome to the forum!

I never fooled around with the 2 strokes really before.
I found out what the counter balancer is, that has a couple ounces of oil in it thats all I believe. thats filled up.

Im gonna tear the carb down and clean it really good see if it helps.

And for brakes bleed them from rear to front. Theres only one master cyl on the handle I believe? I know some had a second for the rear but i didnt see one so im guessing theres only one.

And im gonnna pull magneto off and see if i can pull the seal out without splitting the case first.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bled the brakes. They work now!

As far as carb i cleaned it really good. all jets, holes blown out.

as far as the idle still it will stall out if i dont hold the throttle a little bit.

Is there an idle adjustment some where?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
yes there is an adjustment screw, access it from the thumb throttle side with a phillips screw driver. be sure you hold the throttle open just enough for a fast idle before you make the adjustment. you can always back the screw off once the engine is warmed up You can also pull the seal without splitting the case but if you replace the crankcase seal you must replace the pto seal or you will be back to square one. Just about finished doing it all over again with a 96 TB because I did not replace the seals with the first rebuild. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright im going to mees with the adjuster screw to keep it running.

For the seal behind magneto believe its the crank seal for water pump.

Even if i just pull water pump off i dont think that would be to difficult.

But is that where the counter balancer is, right behind water pump?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If carb wrok doesn't fix your idle, might check out the roll over saftey switch at throttle assembly. It is on handle bar at trigger. Little switch will stop machine when pushed in, mine was just touching it causing this problem. Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts