Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I picked my new sportsman 570 up the dealer told me to look into getting a different air filter for it. Im having some trouble deciding what brand to get and even finding filters for it. He mentioned getting a moose air filter and to stay away from k&n because they allow too much dust threw. Any good filters for dusty and muddy trail riding?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
My dealer told me the stock filter is actually very good. it even comes with an outerwear cover on it.
Other than that I would go Uni. I had one on my 440ex and it works very well. Easy to clean. I always dipped mine in a bucket of gas and let it air dry. then just oil it back up and go.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Stick with stock and the stock prefilter. What I do is change the filter and per filter every oil change. So even if a brand new after market filter is better I'm sure at the rate I'm changing my filters its better then if I kept cleaning and using a washable aftermarket filter. Don't get me wrong I have very expensive induction systems in my diesel drivers but they don't see the harsh enviormental conditions my quad does. So when I read that these aftermarket filters are responsible for engine failures for the nominal HP gains that might be archived for maybe the first day of riding with them I'll just keep a nice new OEM in my ride.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i had a K&N in mine when I bought it...but got a Uni foam filter..all I ever ran in my MX bikes and my other quad an truck..seem to work good...and Actually the stock PoPo one looks good also...some comp is making a synthetic fiber media one soon...washable ...cant think of name off hand but they make cold air systems also for truck an cars..the filter is blue...seen it on some ATV test product site....

·
Registered
123 Posts
personally if your not doing any other mods...would just run stock until warranty was up...put a filter on and just gives a path for excuses if there is engine problems...just as they already mentioned about the K&N letting in dirt. (myself think is bogus)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I run a K&N with a outerwears pre-filter in winter & a UNI during summer. The Moose filter is kind of small & flimsy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I run a K&N air filter in my 570, but I also use the stock pre-filter sleeve over it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I do have a K&N on my old 500HO....still have the stock on the 850 only because of the possible warranty issue.

Also have a K&N system on my truck....no issues at all. Only thing with these is be very careful not to over oil them when you do the cleaning kit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm running the stock filter in mine. I usually run uni filters in all my machines. The stock filter witht he outerwear looks to be sufficient. You can debate all day long on the best filters to run but it comes down to what you want to run and what seems to work best for you

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I will be using Wix oil filters for sure. Haven't looked into the air filter yet I only have 4hrs on mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts