Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off , Hello everyone! Heres my predicament with my sportsman 700 efi . Bought it new in 07 ,my buddy bought one first gonna ride on his moms farm and use them for hunting, long story short he got divorced sold his quad and vanished. I rode it a little but only have 35 miles , yes only 35. Well that led to it sitting and me not having time ,kids, gonna start using it again this summer , put in a new battery started it up . A little tough to start. It was running had hesitation when throttling up. Ran some sea foam and fresh gas kept getting better. Started good hesitation gone , then yesterday wouldn't start, popping and backfiring and ran diagnosis have a code 21. From reading sounds like it could be many things , just need a place to start I'm not familiar with working on atv only cars motorcycles and small engines any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome! You said you looked up the code, what does the code point to?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do a search for the service manual. Several on the site. The that will help you with the code. Then with a little more info someone should be able to give you a couple things to check.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Chip...I looked around and seen it could be either the crank position sensor or the harness going to it....some say to try disconnect battery awhile to reset it.. see if it helps...or clean plug to sensor...check wires that may be rubbing...or take sensor out an clean it....but its a very wide option code...but those who fixed it did what I said above..most times any ways...something called the t-bap harness

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks it's a place to start, I have the battery disconnected now , the rest is gonna have to wait til I can get in the garage it's freezing in my shed, also is there a spot on this forum to find manuals so I can find and clean sensors? Thanks for the help I'll keep ya posted

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just hit the search button and type in service manuals.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks guys , appreciate all the help talk to you soon , stay warm it's 19 below zero here!
It was 71 today. :veryhappy:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well finally got out to work on quad , clean the throttle body and it started , was a little crabby and died and backfired a few times then took off, idle is only 700 not sure if that's right and is there a way to clean tps sensor? Ran computer to check for codes and 21 is gone. Thanks for the help guys
P.s. Any suggestions on cleaning tps?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts