Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a new 2013 Polaris Scrambler 850. My question is the ATV came with 100% Synthetic oil for the engine break-in and for regular use for the life of the ATV. I can't believe that we would break-in a new engine with synthetic oil that causes less friction, when you need friction to break-in the rings. Wondering if I am missing something? On another note, i just installed the new Fender Flares I purchased on EBay...real sweet! Now I wish somebody would build a better Brush Guard for the 2013 Scramber 850, making it wider to cover the fender flares and make it so I could keep my skid guard on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I have a new 2013 Polaris Scrambler 850. My question is the ATV came with 100% Synthetic oil for the engine break-in and for regular use for the life of the ATV. I can't believe that we would break-in a new engine with synthetic oil that causes less friction, when you need friction to break-in the rings. Wondering if I am missing something?...
Many new engines today are coming from the factory with synthetic oil. Some of those are "cold run" at the factory and I've heard regular oil is used then.

FWIW, some popular oil manufacturers (Mobil & Royal Purple come to mind) suggest using a regular oil for break-in before switching to synthetic.

With engines being machined to tighter and more accurate tolerances, the traditional break-in procedures have changed including heat cycling as one important step.

Personally, I change the oil in new engines within the first few hours.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hi, I have a new 2013 Polaris Scrambler 850. My question is the ATV came with 100% Synthetic oil for the engine break-in and for regular use for the life of the ATV. I can't believe that we would break-in a new engine with synthetic oil that causes less friction, when you need friction to break-in the rings. Wondering if I am missing something?...
Many new engines today are coming from the factory with synthetic oil. Some of those are "cold run" at the factory and I've heard regular oil is used then.

FWIW, some popular oil manufacturers (Mobil & Royal Purple come to mind) suggest using a regular oil for break-in before switching to synthetic.

With engines being machined to tighter and more accurate tolerances, the traditional break-in procedures have changed including heat cycling as one important step.

Personally, I change the oil in new engines within the first few hours.

Hope that helps!
X2!

Matt

Sent from West 'by-God' Virginia!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts