Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I bought a used polaris sportsman atv last week. I'm told its a 2004 sportsman 700. I dont know how to verify that its indeed a 2004, decals and camo are worn off. I see it does have twin cylinders tho and Its a carb. Previous owner claimed his friend who works for polaris rebuilt the engine and turned it into an 800 in the process.

the ATV doesn't charge the battery. I hooked it up to a working battery and it starts fine but battery voltage stays at 12.5 or so when idling , revving it in P didn't bring the voltage up either.

Whats the deal, am I looking at a big job to get the charging system working?

·
8,732 Posts
It's probably the regulator/rectifier out by the radiator. Number 25 in the pic. There are 2 different ones listed according to build date.
10th digit of the VIN is the year model. There are VIN decoders on the net or any Polaris dealer can run it for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ATV is in my garage about 10 days and a leak has appeared under it. its not from the engine, its coming from about a foot rearward of the engine, I assume the trans is leaking. I cannot see exactly where its coming from, the bottom of the trans is obscured by the frame. the output shaft that goes to the rear is fine tho.

Is there a common seal or gasket on the trans that tends to go bad?
Big job to fix?

·
8,732 Posts
Have you checked the tranny drain plug? May just need a new crush washer. There is no "common" leak that I'm aware of.
If the roll pin works out of the prop shaft yoke it will cut a hole in the tranny case in a hurry. Other than that, it could be one of the output seals (front or rear #7) or one of the case covers (LH or front 16 & 49).
You'll have to pressure wash it clean, fill it with oil, ride it a few minutes, get a bright light and then LOOK at it to find your leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts