Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined to learn about the quad I bought for my son.....and me. :D It's a 00 Scrambler 500 4x4. Looking forward to getting it out and riding it. Bought it from my uncle and it currently has a carb issue that I have to fix first. Going to start tackling that tomorrow. Have the plastics off of it already. Starts and idles great although the idle is a little low on it but it bogs when you give it throttle. I see a carb rebuild kit in my future but first I want to check it over and see if I need any other parts while I have it apart. I know for sure I need the bushing for the steering shaft, foam under the tank, fuel filter, and radiator hoses.
Also, I know from reading it's 2 quarts synthetic 5-40 but what I haven't found is a part number for the oil filter. Any help is appreciated. I'm sure I'll stumble across it searching but if anyone knows offhand it would help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks....wasn't sure if they or the books would have it listed. Going today to get all the fluids/filters and start on that. Going to also see if there's a local polaris dealer to get the fluid for the front hubs and maybe that steering bushing. I'm not paying the $58 per hose I found online for the radiator hoses....we have a Parker supply here that I'm sure I'll be able to get hose by the foot and come in much much cheaper than that and it'll be properly rated hose. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow that knows these quads inside and out and he'll be able to help me get the carb issue figured out. I'm still really learning about it but I have quite a bit of wrench time working on cars so I'll be able to get the majority of this stuff myself. Just looking it over last night I can tell my uncle didn't do a very good job of keeping up on the maintenance so that and the carb are my main priorities right now.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum :shakehands:

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
been doing a lot of searching and reading but can't find answers to some of the questions I have. My uncle's house burned down a few years ago and with it was all the paperwork for the quad. I know it's a 00 scrambler 500 4x4 but not much past that. I see the 500 HO referenced a lot but have yet to see if there's a 500 AND a 500 HO or if all 500's are considered HO. If there are differences what are they? How would I tell if this is an HO? It's missing some of the decals so perhaps those are the decals that are missing? On the front cover it just says 500 but there's no decals below the seat on the rear fender. Thanks for any answers you guys can give me. Just trying to learn more about it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Search around on here. I seen on here 1 time a link to something where u can look up your vin and it will tell u the yr make and model. There is also a member that sells PDF shop manuals for 8$.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts