Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Deka ETX15 battery for my 2005 Sportsman 400. When installing it I accidentally hooked up the negative cable first, and then the positive second. After about 20 seconds, something started smoking from under the hood and it smelled heavily of burning.

I unhooked the battery, waited about 10 minutes, then hooked it up again, only this time with the positive first and negative second. I hopped on to start it, but nothing happened--no starting, no power at all. Then, it started smoking again. Any advice?

Note: I was under the impression that my old battery was shot, that's why I bought the new one (the ATV wouldn't start, so I jumped it, but it died again within 3 minutes)... and I'm pretty sure the new battery I just bought is the same one that was previously installed.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
My best friend is a M Denham lol. Anyway.

As far as I know, if you hook up a battery backwards the power regulator is the first thing to take a hit. There's a chance you fried yours. You should check any and all fuses too.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Start checking fuses, then inspect ALL wiring.........DO NOT reconnect the battery until that is done. Would bet your family jewels that you have smoked cables at the very least. May have shorted a great deal of the harness. Inspect every inch and all connectors!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Oh yea,.......that new battery may be toast as well. Take it to a parts store and have it tested.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I just purchased a Deka ETX15 battery for my 2005 Sportsman 400. When installing it I accidentally hooked up the negative cable first, and then the positive second. After about 20 seconds, something started smoking from under the hood and it smelled heavily of burning.

I unhooked the battery, waited about 10 minutes, then hooked it up again, only this time with the positive first and negative second. I hopped on to start it, but nothing happened--no starting, no power at all. Then, it started smoking again. Any advice?

Note: I was under the impression that my old battery was shot, that's why I bought the new one (the ATV wouldn't start, so I jumped it, but it died again within 3 minutes)... and I'm pretty sure the new battery I just bought is the same one that was previously installed.

Thanks for your help.
I don't think hooking either the positive or negative up first should cause any problems, unless you hooked them up backwards, and then that could cause lots of problems

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thanks for your help.
I don't think hooking either the positive or negative up first should cause any problems, unless you hooked them up backwards, and then that could cause lots of problems
Yea as far as I know that should not matter. Back in the day the reason you hooked up Neg. last was so you did not arc your wrench when tightening the Pos. With new electronics though????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts