Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just got my bike back from a QSC clutch being installed..
They put a new belt in , said the one I had was thin and not as wide as the one they put on new.. I don't know much about belts, but I recall seeing a post here somewhere that you should break the belt in when you install a new one. Is this true and if so, whats the proper method to do so?
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Some say yes and some say no.... let others say warm the belt up with easy riding before you "put the nut's to it".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so just easy riding for a bit, Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
I posted a reply on your other thread about this.

I say yes to the break in period just to seat the belt well so it makes good contact with both primary and secondary clutches. Just piece of mind.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, thanks bud.. I replied to the other thread..
But how long should the break in period be?
Breaking in means no hard mud play or high speeds correct?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe 25 - 30 miles at most. Just keep from hitting top end for long periods of time. Shut it down after 15-20 minutes to cool it down a bit a couple of times and your good to go. All you want to make sure of is that the belt seats itself good.

·
Registered
978 Posts
what i did to break it in was ride for 15-30 min of normal/easy riding then shut it down and let it cool. The say it hardens the belt? Not sure on that but it seems to work. Then i just rode like i always would. Im not much of a mud guy but i was on the throttle like a raped ape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts