Polaris ATV Forum banner

New bushings now an issue

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  crazyflyboy30 
#1 ·
So like my previous post, I installed a full round of GP bushings, new ball joints, and a new bearings. Ive noticed my rear end seems to sag a touch now and doesnt really spring back up well like before.

Would it be because all of the new bushings made everything so snug compared to before?

everything is torqued to service manual spec, greased like whoa, and my rear shocks are on the furthest setting down for the most compressed spring.

I’m wondering if its because of everything snug now and just needs to be ridden a few times or if my shocks are towards life-end.

thanks.

#6 ·
I torqued them to service manual spec, 40 or 45 whatever it said. I bought a digital torque wrench (coming today) because I don't trust the manual one, it was from harbor freight and a bit janky at times. I also have the cecca frame braces to put on so most of the bolts are coming out again anyway.

#8 ·
There is no way to overtighten those bolts unless you strip them. The frame tabs contact the steel rod through the center of the bushing. That rod will stay in one place and stop the tabs from moving closer together. So even if over torqued it should be fine.

Did you grease everything on install?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: crazyflyboy30
#12 ·
There is no way to overtighten those bolts unless you strip them. The frame tabs contact the steel rod through the center of the bushing. That rod will stay in one place and stop the tabs from moving closer together. So even if over torqued it should be fine.

Did you grease everything on install?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

"There is no way to overtighten those bolts unless you strip them."

Well... Yes there is Canned Ham. The ends of the pivot tubes do indeed seat against the frame tabs, but if you crank those bolts down so tight that you deform the tabs, they can pinch against the end of the bushing causing the a arm tube to start rotating on the outer surface of the bushing rather than the bushing rotating on the pivot shaft and against the tab surface as designed. There's no grease on that outer bushing surface and with water, sand and mud acting as an abrasive the a arm tube will wear very quickly requiring replacement. With Polaris suspension components, tighter is not better.

#10 ·
.Polaris springs are known for getting tired after a while. Got to occasionally put another notch on the preload as the springs settle in order to keep ride height where you want it. When you run out of notches, then you go to EPI HD's and start back over again at the lowest setting. That's just sorta how it works OP.

#11 ·
Im going to see how is does at the HMT this thursday, I definitely don't have time to get new springs let alone and install them. Thanks for the info though, greatly appreciate it and will dig into them when I get home. It is a 2016 and originals so Im sure theyre past their prime

#17 ·
so my service manual does say 45ft.lb. I noticed though that in doing so the a-arms take a lot of effort to move up and down. I dropped it to 40 and that helped a lot. Im not a fan of tightening the crap out of a bolt, that causea things to stress br

Installed the cecco frame braces and love them. The rear was a pain to put on. Between the 5lbs of coal and rock on the top of my skid plates and the rear brake line always in the way, it was a good time.

Excited to be heading to HMT this thursday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.