Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a replacement carb on ebay for my sons 2001 Sportsman 90.
I got the carb and shipping for $17. I put it on today without any issues, and the wheeler fired up and idled like a champ (which was the issue i had with the original carb).

I go to squeeze the throttle...nothing. So i backed off the nut on the cable just above the carb to remove and slack. Every turn made a difference so that when i squeezed the throttle the cable was actually actuating the needle in the carb.

So i've got 2 issues. That nut is almost completely unthreaded. The bent steel tubing that the throttle cable passes through and enters the carb can move up and down in the cap that holds it to the carb. This is about 1/4" movement. So when that tube is pressed down, the cable is loose. When i pull it up, it's where i need it.

So what am i missing here?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Top arrow shows backed out nut.
Bottom arrow shows the piece that can move up and down about 1/4"

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a similar issue with a replacement carb for an Eton 50cc 2 stroke. The original cap for the throttle slide had a nut on the inside that held the cable guide tube in place. The replacement carb did not. I know it is not the best solution, but, if you can unscrew the cap and take the cable off of the throttle slide and, switch out the caps, you may solve that issue. I did not or could not, (don't remember which) so, I used a dab of RTV on the outside of the tube when I had it where I wanted it. Looking back, I could have used JB Weld with (possibly) better results. (I know, a bit backwoodsy but, it worked) As you can see, it is a very similar carb. Hope that helps!!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts