Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm working on the neighbor's 03 Trail Blazer 250. Took the carb off and apparently the last person to work on it used permatex for the gasket. Inside of it is full of crap, and scratched up somehow. My question though is there a decent aftermarket replacement carb? I see they have stopped making the original one now. I'm guessing a Mikuni will fit just not sure how to pick the correct one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The biggest thing is whether or not that '03 has the oil injected into the carburetor or the cylinder.

For years it was on the carb, but at some point I know Polaris changed it to on the cylinder.

If it's on the carb, you're gonna have to use one from another TB 250 that has it too.

Otherwise, it's a VM 30mm Mikuni.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
9,205 Posts
Just get a kit. Clean the carb and rebuild. Clean the tank, lines and petcock. Put it all back together. Add fresh fuel and go riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just get a kit. Clean the carb and rebuild. Clean the tank, lines and petcock. Put it all back together. Add fresh fuel and go riding.
When they called around they were told there wasn't a rebuild kit for the 03. Guess I better start looking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The biggest thing is whether or not that '03 has the oil injected into the carburetor or the cylinder.

For years it was on the carb, but at some point I know Polaris changed it to on the cylinder.

If it's on the carb, you're gonna have to use one from another TB 250 that has it too.

I'm guessing it's injected into the carb since when I took it off I had blue oil coming out of it.

·
9,205 Posts
When they called around they were told there wasn't a rebuild kit for the 03. Guess I better start looking.
Actually, a kit is often not really necessary and a good cleaning/adjustment is all that's required. I will sometimes get a kit only for the individual parts that I need because they are cheaper than buying the OEM parts individually. In your case it sounds like you need the bowl gasket for sure. Number 23 in the pic. There are several kits on ebay for less than only a couple OEM parts would cost if bought alone.
Here's a link to one of many.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Trail-Blazer-250-2003-2006-CARBURETOR-Carb-Rebuild-Kit-Repair/182609839735?epid=209932809&hash=item2a84650677:g:ZE0AAOSwNWxZ5fN6:sc:USPSFirstClass!40962!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

3130020 Gasket, Float Chamber

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts

I'm guessing it's injected into the carb since when I took it off I had blue oil coming out of it.
There shoulda been an oil line near the front of the carb you took off, close to the intake boot if that's the case.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I just worked on a 250 carb that was full of blue oil. When I asked the owner why the carb was full of oil, he said maybe he was mixing it wrong. I asked him if the oil pump had been removed and he replied no. I then asked him if the oil pump was disconnected. Again no. I then told him that if he was not putting in the oil tank the oil pump could seize and possible cause other problems. That's when he informed me that he put oil in the oil tank regularly. I asked him what kind of oil he was putting in it. He said, "The Polaris blue two stroke oil - the same kind of oil I'm mixing with the gas." I asked him why he was mixing the gas if he was putting oil in the oil tank. That's when he explained that the person he got the quad from had told him that the oil in the oil tank just lubed the crankshaft and the oil mixed with the gas lubed the piston and rings. Obviously neither one of these people understood the operation of a two stroke engine and neither had read the 'non-existent' owners manual. I told him other than fouling spark plugs he wasn't hurting anything, but the excess oil was just a waste.

I cleaned his carb, replaced the bowl gasket, gave it back to him and instructed him not to pre-mix his gas anymore.

·
Registered
99 Posts
^^^^^^^ 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I bet the mosquitos didn't bother him while riding. He was a moving violation of DDT. 😂😂😂

·
9,205 Posts
I just worked on a 250 carb that was full of blue oil. When I asked the owner why the carb was full of oil, he said maybe he was mixing it wrong. I asked him if the oil pump had been removed and he replied no. I then asked him if the oil pump was disconnected. Again no. I then told him that if he was not putting in the oil tank the oil pump could seize and possible cause other problems. That's when he informed me that he put oil in the oil tank regularly. I asked him what kind of oil he was putting in it. He said, "The Polaris blue two stroke oil - the same kind of oil I'm mixing with the gas." I asked him why he was mixing the gas if he was putting oil in the oil tank. That's when he explained that the person he got the quad from had told him that the oil in the oil tank just lubed the crankshaft and the oil mixed with the gas lubed the piston and rings. Obviously neither one of these people understood the operation of a two stroke engine and neither had read the 'non-existent' owners manual. I told him other than fouling spark plugs he wasn't hurting anything, but the excess oil was just a waste.

I cleaned his carb, replaced the bowl gasket, gave it back to him and instructed him not to pre-mix his gas anymore.
LOL, it just amazes me latebird, that folks can go on Polaris website and download a FREE owners manual or they're handed one when they buy a new machine but refuse to even open and look in the dang thing to learn how to take care of their new toy. :kopfkratz:
Same thing with automobiles, tv's and toasters... Never read the instructions till something goes wrong. Many won't even bother then. They want someone to TELL them what's wrong. :grin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts