Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has already been discussed, i cant seem to figure out how to search for threads. I'm new!

I'm looking to replace the whole carb in my 2004 Sportsman 500 H.O.

Any recommendations on brand - keeping in mind I'm a poor ba**ard

·
8,739 Posts
"I'm a poor ba**ard "
Then WHY do you want to buy a NEW carb?
A good cleaning or $25 rebuild kit will fix most ALL carb problems.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If you are "poor", then why do you have a 4-wheeler? It's not a cheap sport - they need constant maintenance and it cost $5 to $10 to wash one thoroughly after each outing, but as polman said, a kit and service by a competent mechanic should be able to fix the carb you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carb

Ok -

The pilot jet is stuck in the carb and i have tried like hell to get the thing out (including drilling it out) and it still isnt out.

My point was, i dont WANT to spend a fortune buying a carb

I use this 2004 four wheeler for ice fishing and hunting; not mudding or racing

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
OK - you may have damaged the carb beyond repair by refusing to take it to a knowledgeable mechanic.

Your only choice is to spend $525 for part # 3131567 to fix it properly, or $100 + rebuild cost for a good used carb or $35 for a carb on Ebay + tuning expense to make it run right. Your choice. Or you might send the old carb to me to see if it can be saved. If it can't be saved, it will only cost the postage to get it to me. If interested, let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is! I ended up ordering an OEM carb off Partzilla.com for about $378. Wayyyyyyyy more than i wanted to, but hopefully it'll be good now for a few years at LEAST before i need the carb cleaned again.

I ended up buying an OEM carb from Partzilla for $378. WAYYYYY more than I wanted to spend, but whatever. I'm going to try and get someone to remove whats left of the pilot jet and maybe salvage the old one still.

I also have a question about the radiator fan; is that thing supposed to be loud when it turns on?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ended up buying an OEM carb from Partzilla for $378. WAYYYYY more than I wanted to spend, but whatever. I'm going to try and get someone to remove whats left of the pilot jet and maybe salvage the old one still.

I also have a question about the radiator fan; is that thing supposed to be loud when it turns on?

Check your cab boot, make sure it is not cracked.

Any other parts, use ebay. Yes, the fan is loud.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
No the fan is not loud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I should quantify "loud"; am I supposed to hear the thing turn on?

I don't have overheating issues, I can just most def tell when that fan kicks on.

·
8,739 Posts
Yep, some more than others and according to how good your hearing is. My old 800 sounds like a mini hurricane. The new 1k I can hear very clearly when its on but not as loud as the older machine. If it gets to rattling or scrubbing or something it needs checked out. Otherwise its just sort of a low roar when running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok -

found a new carb on Partzilla.com for about $378

Put that in and now she's running beautifully. The military made me a skeptic though so I shall see how it goes over time.

Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts