Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do we refer to the new category as ? It's going to need a name. It's not an ATV. It's not a S X S.

I suggest we call them SS. Single Seat. Single Seater.

Sounds good too.... Polaris SS ACE.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
It's named the "Sportsman ACE"..... so to me that flags it as more of an ATV then a SxS / UTV. I'd just refer to it as the "ACE"..... kinda like the "RZR". As for clasification it's more along the lines of an..... "ATV"!

Does it really matter?

·
Registered
426 Posts
So.....it's not an All Terrain Vehicle?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
Its basically a new version of the old Honda pilot more or less. Same kinda concept. What were those referred to as?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Its basically a new version of the old Honda pilot more or less. Same kinda concept. What were those referred to as?
I always thought the Honda Pilot was a mini van and the Odyssey was the atv buggy? :D

Either way..... it's still an "ATV"!

·
Registered
426 Posts
These days, the Pilot is an SUV and the Odyssey is a minivan. Back in the day, they were both off road vehicles. First was the Odyssey, then the Pilot was the updated, more powerful version.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/honda-odyssey.htm

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
These days, the Pilot is an SUV and the Odyssey is a minivan. Back in the day, they were both off road vehicles. First was the Odyssey, then the Pilot was the updated, more powerful version.

Honda Odyssey and Honda Pilot
Thanks.... you learn something new every day! :tuschel: I'm good now until tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I always thought the Honda Pilot was a mini van and the Odyssey was the atv buggy? :D

Pretty sure the Pilot is considered an ATV......Well this ACE is a pretty cool concept, image what that would be like with PS and 850/1000 engine. That would be fun! Seems like you can't lean into turns like a ATV, so I wonder if the larger engine makes it Roll-over crazy.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Does anyone know how the engine is mounted. Tried finding some pics that show it but can't. I am curious if there is even room for a larger engine in that chassis.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I used to just go out and flip the Odyssey on purpose all the time when I was a kid. It was a blast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Is a SxS an All Terrain Vehicle ?

UTV- as defined by Wikipedia is "The Side by Side is a small 2-person or 6 person four-wheel drive off-road vehicle, also called UTV (Utility Task Vehicle) or ROV (Recreational Off highway Vehicle)."

ATV-as defined by Wikipedia is "An all-terrain vehicle (ATV), also known as a quad, quad bike, three-wheeler, or four-wheeler, is defined by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)"

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Is a SxS an All Terrain Vehicle ?

UTV- as defined by Wikipedia is "The Side by Side is a small 2-person or 6 person four-wheel drive off-road vehicle, also called UTV (Utility Task Vehicle) or ROV (Recreational Off highway Vehicle)."

ATV-as defined by Wikipedia is "An all-terrain vehicle (ATV), also known as a quad, quad bike, three-wheeler, or four-wheeler, is defined by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)"
The ACE is neither. Hence the need for a new designation.... SS.

Wonder if there will be any confusion when people go to buy insurance.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, since we're being technical...here's how the law reads here in MN:

Subd. 8.All-terrain vehicle or vehicle. "All-terrain vehicle" or "vehicle" means a motorized flotation-tired vehicle of not less than three low pressure tires, but not more than six tires, that is limited in engine displacement of less than 1,000 cubic centimeters and includes a class 1 all-terrain vehicle and class 2 all-terrain vehicle.

Subd. 9.Class 1 all-terrain vehicle. "Class 1 all-terrain vehicle" means an all-terrain vehicle that has a total dry weight of less than 1,000 pounds.

Subd. 10.Class 2 all-terrain vehicle. "Class 2 all-terrain vehicle" means an all-terrain vehicle that has a total dry weight of 1,000 to 1,800 pounds.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Subd. 8.All-terrain vehicle or vehicle. "All-terrain vehicle" or "vehicle" means a motorized flotation-tired vehicle of not less than three low pressure tires, but not more than six tires, that is limited in engine displacement of less than 1,000 cubic centimeters and includes a class 1 all-terrain vehicle and class 2 all-terrain vehicle.

Subd. 9.Class 1 all-terrain vehicle. "Class 1 all-terrain vehicle" means an all-terrain vehicle that has a total dry weight of less than 1,000 pounds.

Subd. 10.Class 2 all-terrain vehicle. "Class 2 all-terrain vehicle" means an all-terrain vehicle that has a total dry weight of 1,000 to 1,800 pounds.

lol,Love it!!!
Now we got 50 states,16 insular areas and a federal district,10 Providences and 3 territory's. I wonder if the laws are all the same...lol

·
Registered
426 Posts

lol,Love it!!!
Now we got 50 states,16 insular areas and a federal district,10 Providences and 3 territory's. I wonder if the laws are all the same...lol
Well, someone asked if a side by side machine is considered an ATV. The answer, at least where I live, is yes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I like riding in mud and water and lifting my feet up so they stay dry. Anything with a gas pedal ruins that. But this Ace and the RZR are very nice.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The Uno! A whole new breed. Coming to a dealer near YOU!!!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts

Pretty sure the Pilot is considered an ATV......Well this ACE is a pretty cool concept, image what that would be like with PS and 850/1000 engine. That would be fun! Seems like you can't lean into turns like a ATV, so I wonder if the larger engine makes it Roll-over crazy.
I totally agree! If that thing had a 850 xp engine, power steering and IFS with fox shocks I`d be at the dealer right now and in the hospital by the end of the day! But man it would be fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts