Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the decision on which ATV to purchase is over ! Will be picking up my New Polaris Sportsman 550 XP in the morning.

Want to upgrade tires from stock.....but having trouble finding what will work and what will not.

any Help appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome and congratulations from one 550 XP owner to another. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your choice. I think the stock Terrathon tires actually aren't bad tires for being stock, but I also upgraded mine. I found someone on here who was selling their stock XP EPS tires (Carlisle 489II) and alloy wheels. They look great and perform well.

Brad

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well, the decision on which ATV to purchase is over ! Will be picking up my New Polaris Sportsman 550 XP in the morning.

Want to upgrade tires from stock.....but having trouble finding what will work and what will not.

any Help appreciated.
Welcome to the boards, you will definatly like your new ATV, be sure to post some pictures when you get it home. The best thing you can do for your new ATV is to buy a new set of tires, the stock tires are crap, on my first ride the side wall blew on one of my tires and the dealer wouldn`t cover it. So i bought a set of Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, there a 6 ply radial tire that will improve the ride and handling. The stock tires are a bias ply tire. If you want to see some pictures of the new tires on my ATV just let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought an 2009 sportsman 550 XP, price was right. would like to see pic's.
I would appreciate any advise on wheels and tires......primary purpose is to use hunting, field work, pulling equipment, etc. I will not be doing alot
of mudding......except what is around our fields.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bought an 2009 sportsman 550 XP, price was right. would like to see pic's.
I would appreciate any advise on wheels and tires......primary purpose is to use hunting, field work, pulling equipment, etc. I will not be doing alot
of mudding......except what is around our fields.
I try and avoid mud as much as i can, but there are some trails that i ride on that have large mud puddles on them that are as wide as the trail, so i just go slow and stay to the edge as much as possible. When i replaced the crappy stock tires i used the stock rims and replaced the tires only. I want to replace the stock rims with something nicer, but that will have to wait a while.
The tires i bought are Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, they are a good all around tire, they do good in the mud and on rocks, and they also do well in the snow.

Here are a few pictures.
http://

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice looking setup, I ordered the fender flares.....what size are these tires ? They are all I would need for my application.....and then some probably.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Very nice looking setup, I ordered the fender flares.....what size are these tires ? They are all I would need for my application.....and then some probably.
The tire size is 26x9-14 front, and 26x11-14 rear.

·
Registered
841 Posts
go with maxxis bighorns,ITP terracross or ITP mudlite XTR

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Congrats! Any question on the XP feel free to call the shop & ask for Thor. I own 2 of these bad boys and know the ins and outs about them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
take a look at interco/reptiles.i bought a set last year and love'm. extremely smooth on pavement or hardpack for such an aggressive tread. 6ply, not much noise, excellant lateral traction. whatever your brand choice, stick to the 6plys, since your using them on the farm. i also live on a farm, need all the durability you can get. let us know what you buy and what you think of'm, good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice looking tires.....Not offered in size I am looking to put on my 550 XP, 26X9X14 front / 26X11X14 Rear.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome to the site!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts