Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have been going through this 2001 sportsman 500 H.O. DUSE for weeks now and replaced many new parts including timing chain, exhaust rocker, CDI, stator, coil, carb rebuild, left hand switch, ignition, starter, starter bendix etc etc..... so the issue is that when looking into the bike I noticed the old flywheel was stripping on the key giving it a little play back and forth. It will run with the old one on but after so long meaning 3 mins or so it will get out of time. Figured I would just pony up and pay 200 for a new flywheel from RM stator. Well got the new one in and out it in just to see that there is now no spark. I then put the old one on and bam starts up fine. Back to the old and again no spark. Any ideas on why this would happen. They are both FF97 flywheels and both properly gapped for the cool. ?????????

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Yeah - OK - I tried to read your babble and make some sense of it and here's my take:

The flywheel key is just to position the flywheel - not hold it - the flywheel is locked in position with an interference fit of the taper between the crankshaft and the flywheel.

Either the CDI charging coils are not being excited by the new flywheel and not charging the CDI unit or the new flywheel is not generating a voltage in the pulse coil telling the CDI to discharge through the coil.

Figure out what is going on and fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So can you explain why the flywheel would not be generating a voltage? How do you even test that to ensure that you are getting the appropriate voltage?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I can't tell you what is wrong with the flywheel - the mechanic working on the vehicle is the one with the knowledge to make that call. Flywheel key slot in wrong location, weak magnets, pulse coil air gap incorrect? All are possibilities.

You can test for proper voltage with a peak voltage meter.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Did you get the right flywheel for your engine. I worked on a 1997 Sportsman 500 that had lost a magnet and trashed the stator. Stator was the easy repair, but there is a specific flywheel model listed for that engine. Don't remember if it was FF97 or FF95. Either way they look the same at a glance but the spark trigger is in a different place so it didn't spark at all with the ones I had sitting around here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it had the FF97 on the quad originally when I bought it so I put one on from RM stator that was supposed to be a FF97. I also have one that the previous owner had that does the same thing as the new one and gets no spark.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Trying to remember back now what I had to do to make it work properly. Compare your new one with the old one. Check for the position of the "bump" on the outside that triggers the spark to the key in the flywheel. Might be able to line them up with with the keyways matching and check that way. I am thinking that is where your problem is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts