Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I'm from the Mission Valley/Flathead Lake area of western Montana. Been riding since 1969 and three years ago finally sold my YZ465 which has helped me garner massive amounts of hardware over the years. Been riding four-wheelers since 2002 and have had five different ones along with two UTV's. Just bought an '06 500 EFI HO for our river cabin. It has 970 miles on it and came with the plow and Warn winch. The winch has something called "mule line"...never heard of it and doesn't look all that strong. The guy said it's good for up to 1200 lbs. yet the winch is 2500 lbs. Oh well, I'm just dragging deadfall off our three acres at the cabin so I'll make it work.

One thing that is confusing me about changing oil which I want to do this week: the manual mentions re-priming the oil pump. Never heard of such a thing, although this is my first Polaris. If I don't pull remove the oil hose, I don't have to do this?

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Just drain the oil, change the filter, fill it back up and you are good to go. There is absolutely no reason to pull the hose, or bottom plug to drain the last ounce or two out of the engine. If it sounds like it is rattling more than usual after restarting, you can pinch the oil return line (to the tank) for a few seconds and you are ready to go. Only had to do that one time with my wife's 500.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hello & Welcome! :wave: ^^^ What He Said!!^^^ Just drain & replace oil and filter!!

I pulled my hose to check the screen on the 2005 when I picked it up.... to find nothing!!! Not to mention I had such a hard time getting the hose off I had to cut it and then couldn't find a good replacement at the local hardware store and had to buy an over priced short section from a local auto parts store! :D

If buying used, I replace all fluids (front diff, engine oil / filter and rear diff/trans). This will help set your maintenance schedule and is also cheap insurance!!!

Enjoy!! :fing02:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome from N. E. PA!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and welcome. I'll bypass the hose program for now and that bottom drain plug in crankcase - my hands are too big to screw that back in anyway from the looks of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts