Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So "Santa" put a garmin Oregon 550t under my tree and I fired it up and have zero idea how to use it. What I want is atv trails for Wisconsin, Illinois, and upper Michigan and more if possible. How do I do this or I guess I should ask this because I really haven't played with it much, are they preloaded maybe? If not then how do I get them on there... I used the polaris trail maps before on my iPhone and loved that I could use that in any state without paying an arm and a leg.. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
my first thought would be to read the instructions...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did but it said nothing about the orv trail maps... Just ordered vvmapping cd hope it works

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have been researching GPS for my wheeler in the last couple weeks myself. From what I have gathered you can download maps that you purchase off the internet then download those maps into the Garmin. I'm not sure if your model has a SD card or not but I believe that's one way to transfer maps. They aren't cheap and I noticed in my area the snowmobile maps are much more detailed BUT atv's aren't always allowed on those trails. I would search Garmin atv trail maps or snowmobile and see what you come up with. Also there are a couple threads in general discussion about gps units. There is some info about what you want there as well. Advanced search Garmin and you will see what I mean. I am interested in what you find out. Subscribed :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good choice on the GPS. I have a Oregon 450 with the vvmapping. It is a great setup. I also got the mini SD card with mine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just bought vvmapping for my Garmin last week. I haven't been out on the trails with it yet, but I looked at several trails on my computer using the vvmapping maps and it looked like it had a lot of details including the parking lots, gas near the trail, etc. You can also use it for actual routing to make sure you don't get off the trail.

Can't wait to try it out on the trail.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 550t and have been using it for several years on my ATVs. I use the Ram mount system with the cradle. Works great, never lost it. As for the maps, there are several free and charge maps that you can download for maps. Being from New England, I am using the Backwoods trail maps, a purchase service. Decent price and very accurate for my area. Would recommend a memory card to give it more capacity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts