Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a polaris sportsman 8oo, 2008 with polaris track drives. Will be using it to groom 20 mile XC ski trail, pulling different pieces of equipment. Only traveling at 5-10mph. I have never drivin a ATV, using snowmobils. Anyone have experince with polaris track drives and/or anyone grooming with atv?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
hi xcgroomer, im in hancock, MI.

what i can tell you about the tracks on an atv is they work really well if you get a good brand. the ones you can buy from a dealer or the prospector tracks, and they are pretty good. i would say the high side of the middle as far as technology, ect. you get really good traction with tracks on snow, there are just two downsides. sounds like neither will affect you much. the first is they are a little have for powder so they do not float like a snowmobile does. that doesnt mean they cant get through powder, its just a lot slower, and they still do offer some flotation, just not like a sled. the other is they way many of the track systems are geared, you loose about half of your top speed. so say it was 60mph with wheels, its gonna be about 30-35 with tracks.

as far as gromming trails with an ATV, i would say that would be no porblem at all, in fact it would probably work quite will. plenty of power and traction to do the job

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fellow Yupper-Yaa Hey!!!

Thanks for the info concerning the track drives. There are several track drive ATV's being used to groom XC ski trails. The people that have them love them: can pull better then a sled, handle extremely well(turn sharp corners
while pulling heavy grooming equipment), have not had problems with them in deep snow. Speed is not a problem, only operating at 5-10MPH.
As I always say "Groomers do it slow and steady"!!! If we go to fast the classic track or the skating trail does not set up correctly.
You mentioned "prospector tracks", is that what Polaris calls their's or is that a different brand?
Do you know Hiedi at Down Wind, if yes, tell her the kayak fisherman from Escanaba says Hi!!!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
prospectors are the name of the tracks polaris sells thru its dealers. of course polaris does not build these tracks themselves, they are built though to be a direct bolt-on to polaris machines. i think the newest version out is the prospector pro "S" model.

i believe it was dirt wheels magazine, or one of the main ATV magazines that just did comparison of all the different brand of track kits out there, pros and cons, ect. and they gave the prospectors a pretty good rating. not the best you can buy but they work pretty well, easy to install and uninstall on polaris atv's, and they have boogie wheels so you do not go through hifax like the old ones would.

i dont know hiedi at downwind but i have been in there a few times. next time i stop by ill mention it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts