Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I'm new to an older 500 (98), i've ridden friends for awhile and broke down for an older starter machine. It arrived and ran very well (easily got it up to 60 going up an incline! :veryhappy:). Well that was the first tank of gas, then i messed up by adding fuel with Seafoam in it (1 oz/gal). Within a mile the 500 noticed it and began bogging down with any attempt to go faster than about 12-15 mph. I replaced the fuel filter, no better. I also cleaned out the air filters (they were near clean to begin with). Did i manage to 'clean' out the tank and transfer the waste to the primary jet cloggin it so i need a carb rebuild now?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yea, we use to put BG 44K in old cars, the saying was it's either going to fix it or kill it! That's the problem with such good cleaners in neglected vehicles, it loosens up all the junk.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah - i realize that now! I think i meant to put Sta-bil but grabbed wrong bottle-errrrrrr...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Even though you caused yourself some work, I personally think you did exactly the "right thing". The clogged jet(s) goes to show it sat for a while with old crappy gas or was never maintained. When you clean and inspect the carb, might give some thought to flushing the tank and replacing fuel lines. I would also recommend you continue to use Seafoam after your clean up, I put 1/2 doses in every tank for longer than I care to remember without any problems ever. Stabil is ok for longterm storage or if you don't ride very often, but there are better products for about the same $$. There are some threads here related to additives if you search. I use the Lucas stabilizer in everything with a motor, but there are many to choose from.

Please post up when you get it resolved?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I feel a little better knowing there is hope for it! I'll give you an update soon...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a while but its working again!

It turned out the carb had some odd damage. The jetblock was somehow warped and wouldn't move all the way up/down. Replaced it and 8 other odd parts (jetneedle, screws, o-rings) and now it runs like a spanked monkey, hits 60 on a level dirt road, WOOHOO!! So it was just a coincidence it acted up just after i added fuel stuff. :cowboy:

·
11,302 Posts
It turned out the carb had some odd damage. The jetblock was somehow warped and wouldn't move all the way up/down. Replaced it and 8 other odd parts (jetneedle, screws, o-rings) and now it runs like a spanked monkey, hits 60 on a level dirt road, WOOHOO!! So it was just a coincidence it acted up just after i added fuel stuff. :cowboy:
Yeah, I was going to say it WAS NOT the Seafoam that messed it up it was something else. Glad to hear you found the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts