Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New HD springs for 550/850 Touring installed.

ALL I can say is WOW! What a difference after installing HD springs on our 2012 Sportsman 850 Touring. Our unit has about 150 LB of extras. With the shocks at the full setting & my 7 year old on the back she was sagging. Now I have the shocks at the mid setting and no more sagging. She is also at 50 inches wide. Here are some pics transporting her home. I have several of these kits ready to ship. Any questions feel free to call the shop at 815-321-3888 & ask for me!

http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/HEAVY-DUTY-SUSPENSION-SPRING-FRONT-p/front_epi.htm

http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/HEAVY-DUTY-SUSPENSION-SPRING-REAR-p/rear_epi.htm

Thor

·
Registered
209 Posts
Are the rear springs specific for the touring as I know Highlifter does not make them for the touring? What a difference they made front and rear

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your original post about a year and a half ago. How have the EPI springs that you put onto your 850 Touring held up? Any sag?

·
Registered
98 Posts
^ I'm also curious. I'm about ready to pull the trigger myself.

The only thing that concerns me is the high front spring rate. Even the HD springs for the Ranger are only rated at 144lbs. Kind of concerned the suspension won't work as much as it should and will result in a very firm ride especially when I don't have alot of added weight on the ATV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah - that's a good point. According the the EPI web site, the WE325112 (front) is 252 lbs per inch and the WE325113 (Rear) is 120/240 lbs per inch. The Polaris heavy duty front suspension springs for the older model (2005-2008) Sportsman is 128 lbs per inch and, as you've pointed out the Polaris HD springs for the Ranger are 144 lbs per inch. I can't find the OEM spring rate specs listed anywhere but if they are less than 144 lbs per inch, I would think that going to 252 lbs per inch would result in a ridiculously harsh ride.

I've decided to trust that Thor knows what he's talking about and have just ordered front & rear springs for my 2012 Sportsman 850 Touring. My Touring's left rear is sitting 1 inch lower than its right rear, even with the spring preload at the highest setting on the left and lowest setting on the right so I have to do something.

I'll post again to let your know what 252 lbs per inch feels like to me in terms of ride quality once I get them installed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds good man. I look forward to hearing your first impressions of them. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get them to you and installed!

When I was reading a few weeks ago I had noticed the same things you pointed out above. I actually think I started another thread on here but received zero input so I guess there isn't much experience regarding spring rates around here? Anyway Good Luck, and keep us posted...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just installed the EPI HD springs for a 850 Xp in my touring! Yes they fit! I did all the research despite EVERYONE SAYING THEY DO NOT WORK!!!!!
The part number on the shock is the same. The travel on the shock is the same. The measurements are identical.

I have re-discovered the wheel!!!!

This is a must upgrade!!!! DO IT!!!!!!!!

I was so mad after I spent all that money on touring and it couldn't hold as much weight as a single.

The HD springs are ridiculously strong!!!!! You won't be disappointed at all!!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
How is the actual ride when compared to stock? By your post you're obviously very happy but am most curious about ride harshness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the stiffness turned all the way up and in my opinion it is still the smoothest riding. The front doesn't sink when braking, 10 times the stability, way more control and much sportier ride, the long wheel base compensates,

You would not be disappointed !

·
Registered
20 Posts
EPI HD coils installed on 2012 850 Touring

Sounds good man. I look forward to hearing your first impressions of them. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get them to you and installed!

When I was reading a few weeks ago I had noticed the same things you pointed out above. I actually think I started another thread on here but received zero input so I guess there isn't much experience regarding spring rates around here? Anyway Good Luck, and keep us posted...
I finally received the coil springs from TheATVSuperStore.com last week, a full month after I placed the order (I guess $150+ for shipping only qualifies for USPS instead of FedEx or UPS). Also, two of the coils that I received were USED, not new. I could clearly see where a spring compressor had removed some of the paint.

As I had suspected, the coils I received were made by EPI. The part numbers were WE325112 (front) and WE325113 (rear). The EPI WE325112 are 10 inches long and the EPI WE325113 are 15 1/4 inches long. The OEM coils that came off my 2012 Sportsman Touring 850 EPS were 9 inches long (front) and 13 5/8 inches long (rear). Both the front and rear OEM coils are dual-rate. The rear EPI coils are also dual-rate. The front EPI coils are single rate.

Here are some removal & installation notes that may be useful:

Shock removal:
- I had to remove the rear tires in order to pull the rear shocks out.
- The front shocks could be removed with the tires on.
- I had to use an open ended 15mm wrench in order to remove the upper bolt from each of the front shocks because the closed end wouldn't go around the nut.

OEM Coil removal:
- I used 2 ratchet straps to compress the OEM coils enough to remove the shocks.

EPI Coil installation:
- The rear EPI coils were the most difficult to install. I needed to use 3 ratchet straps in order to compress the coil enough to get the spring retainer on.
- The front EPI coils installed easily. I used 2 ratchet straps to get the spring retainer on.
- Although the front EPI coils appeared to be single rate with no specific orientation requirement, I found that the coil is actually narrower in diameter on one end (this end therefore needs to be at the top).

Shock installation:
- Installing the rear shocks was a nightmare. The EPI WE325113 coils are 1 5/8 (1.625) inches longer than the OEM coils. This meant that the shock was now too long to be mounted. In order to mount the shock, I had to recompress the coil. Once I got the shocks bolted in, I had to cut the ratchet straps with knife because there was no room to open the release mechanism. Not fun.
- The front shocks could be bolted in without needing to be compressed.

Thoughts:
- The front end seems okay but I think the rear is now oversprung. I'm also a bit concerned that CV joint angle in the rear may be a bit too extreme. I'll post an update once I've taken my quad out for a test ride.
- My initial reason for performing this coil upgrade was because I had a 1 to 2 inch difference between the left and right rear sides of my quad. With the new coils, I still have a 1 inch difference. I'm beginning to wonder if the frame is twisted or something.

UPDATE 2014 Aug 26:
- I took the quad out for a 2+ hour trail ride last night and I'm very impressed with the new feel of the front end. It's more stable and firm but not oversprung. On the other hand, I'm extremely disappointed with the rear end feel. So much so, that I've decided that the WE325113 coils are coming off and the OEMs are going back on tonight. The WE325113 coils are too long for the space they must occupy which results in them being already compressed beyond the 120lbs/inch lower rate limit when installed.
- Going over a bump felt something like this: The front end comes up slightly as the wheels start to go over the bump. After the front wheels are over the bump, I hear the front shocks make their pneumatic hiss while the coils decompress. Then, as the rear wheels start to go over, the entire rear end of the quad moves upward and kicks me forward. Finally, after the rear wheels are over, the rear end drops with a thud. Depending on my speed and size of the bump, sometimes the rear end not only kicks me forward but off the seat and into the air as well.

My recommendations for other 850 Touring owners:
- EPI WE325112 front coils are an excellent upgrade from stock.
- EPI WE325113 rear coils do not work properly on the 850 Touring.

Photographs:
EPI coil springs are black. OEM coil springs are white. First photo shows the front springs, second photo shows the rear springs. Other photos are from the test ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you very much for the update...your thoroughness is exactly what I was looking for!

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I finally received the coil springs from TheATVSuperStore.com last week, a full month after I placed the order (I guess $150+ for shipping only qualifies for USPS instead of FedEx or UPS). Also, two of the coils that I received were USED, not new. I could clearly see where a spring compressor had removed some of the paint.

As I had suspected, the coils I received were made by EPI. The part numbers were WE325112 (front) and WE325113 (rear). The EPI WE325112 are 10 inches long and the EPI WE325113 are 15 1/4 inches long. The OEM coils that came off my 2012 Sportsman Touring 850 EPS were 9 inches long (front) and 13 5/8 inches long (rear). Both the front and rear OEM coils are dual-rate. The rear EPI coils are also dual-rate. The front EPI coils are single rate.

Here are some removal & installation notes that may be useful:

Shock removal:
- I had to remove the rear tires in order to pull the rear shocks out.
- The front shocks could be removed with the tires on.
- I had to use an open ended 15mm wrench in order to remove the upper bolt from each of the front shocks because the closed end wouldn't go around the nut.

OEM Coil removal:
- I used 2 ratchet straps to compress the OEM coils enough to remove the shocks.

EPI Coil installation:
- The rear EPI coils were the most difficult to install. I needed to use 3 ratchet straps in order to compress the coil enough to get the spring retainer on.
- The front EPI coils installed easily. I used 2 ratchet straps to get the spring retainer on.
- Although the front EPI coils appeared to be single rate with no specific orientation requirement, I found that the coil is actually narrower in diameter on one end (this end therefore needs to be at the top).

Shock installation:
- Installing the rear shocks was a nightmare. The EPI WE325113 coils are 1 5/8 (1.625) inches longer than the OEM coils. This meant that the shock was now too long to be mounted. In order to mount the shock, I had to recompress the coil. Once I got the shocks bolted in, I had to cut the ratchet straps with knife because there was no room to open the release mechanism. Not fun.
- The front shocks could be bolted in without needing to be compressed.

Thoughts:
- The front end seems okay but I think the rear is now oversprung. I'm also a bit concerned that CV joint angle in the rear may be a bit too extreme. I'll post an update once I've taken my quad out for a test ride.
- My initial reason for performing this coil upgrade was because I had a 1 to 2 inch difference between the left and right rear sides of my quad. With the new coils, I still have a 1 inch difference. I'm beginning to wonder if the frame is twisted or something.

UPDATE 2014 Aug 26:
- I took the quad out for a 2+ hour trail ride last night and I'm very impressed with the new feel of the front end. It's more stable and firm but not oversprung. On the other hand, I'm extremely disappointed with the rear end feel. So much so, that I've decided that the WE325113 coils are coming off and the OEMs are going back on tonight. The WE325113 coils are too long for the space they must occupy which results in them being already compressed beyond the 120lbs/inch lower rate limit when installed.
- Going over a bump felt something like this: The front end comes up slightly as the wheels start to go over the bump. After the front wheels are over the bump, I hear the front shocks make their pneumatic hiss while the coils decompress. Then, as the rear wheels start to go over, the entire rear end of the quad moves upward and kicks me forward. Finally, after the rear wheels are over, the rear end drops with a thud. Depending on my speed and size of the bump, sometimes the rear end not only kicks me forward but off the seat and into the air as well.

My recommendations for other 850 Touring owners:
- EPI WE325112 front coils are an excellent upgrade from stock.
- EPI WE325113 rear coils do not work properly on the 850 Touring.

Photographs:
EPI coil springs are black. OEM coil springs are white. First photo shows the front springs, second photo shows the rear springs. Other photos are from the test ride.

After reviewing this thread I must chime in. Your order was placed on 7/30/14. When possible we ship all International orders via USPS to save the customer on broker fees. To do this we must first have the goods delivered to us here in IL. Your order for front & rear springs as well as fender flares ( thus the shipping cost) arrived here from two separate locations. The springs from our warehouse in Maine and fender flares from Northern NY. We then repacked your order and shipped it from IL to Canada on 8/6/14.

I was the one who packed this order on 8/6/14 since it arrived late. I then drove it to the post office so it would go out same day. I did not notice any damage to springs or that they were missing paint. (Maybe rubbing from shipping?) I see by viewing the tracking the order arrived to you on 8/18 but you were not available. It was then delivered the next day 8/19/2014 which was less then 3 weeks from day of order and not over a month as stated above. Sorry we can not control delivery times for international orders. Your customs is the one who does that.

Regarding the springs. Yes they are made by EPI and it also states that on the listing. http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/HEAVY-DUTY-SUSPENSION-SPRING-FRONT-p/front_epi.htm . It is unfortunate that you did not like the rears. Everyone's riding is different. You are the first of many who did not like them. Maybe the difference is the lack of weight on your unit? Most who install and use them have extras like bumpers, boxes, extras in box++. I know that with my unit I had a extra 90+ lb and I loved it as most of my customers do.

Thank you again for your order. When will you be installing the fender flares to keep the mud off?

Thor

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any Canadian that complains when his order is shipped by USPS instead of UPS has a lot to learn about online purchases. UPS rapes us on brokerage fees and usually takes longer in shipping times in the process. I refuse to do business with vendors that insist on UPS as it greatly increases the cost of the purchase.

Can't comment on the rest of the transaction but Thor treated you right by choosing USPS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fender Flares

I finally put the fender flares on a couple weeks ago and they made a huge difference with the tracks on. There was a lot less snow flying in my face. Installation was fairly easy and fast but it would have been better if the manufacturer had provided a template to allow holes to be drilled from the outside. A template would have been useful for two reasons: 1) A few tight areas where I couldn't keep the drill straight. 2) Consistent hole locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you still running just the front springs or are you running both?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rear EPI springs on 850 Touring

I left the rear EPI heavy duty coil springs on for about 6 months before I finally removed & replaced them with the OEM springs. I was hoping they would eventually give a little so that the ride wouldn't be so harsh but they never did. I'm now running with EPI springs on just the front.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I left the rear EPI heavy duty coil springs on for about 6 months before I finally removed & replaced them with the OEM springs. I was hoping they would eventually give a little so that the ride wouldn't be so harsh but they never did. I'm now running with EPI springs on just the front.
thor can you confirm his springs were the right spec for the rear? maybe the supplier mixed them up?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I haven't had much chance to ride my new machine, but I greatly appreciate the review here by CC2099 and will take a look at the rear spring options more closely.

Years back I had a bunch of split spring shims made for the old strut Sportsman. They were C shaped half circles and then I used a worm clamp to hold them together. I'll have to see is the diameter of the old Sachs struts is anywhere close to the shock OD on the touring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts