Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Swapping Polaris Winch For Warn Updated With Pictures

My 2011 Sportsman 800 was purchased with a Polaris 2500HD winch. This is now my third winter plowing using the Glacier II 54" Snow Blade. Last year I replaced the contactor due to the winch not moving in one direction a lot of the time.
Now I have an issue with the winch not working up or down on way too many occasions. It just clicks in both directions but refuses to go up or down, I have to release the load and put it in free spool then the winch works no problems, but put a load on it and it barely lifts my blade. Other times though it works great! I'm thinking its the brushes inside the motor.

I'm now looking at a Warn winch to replace the Polaris 2500HD. I'm looking at the Warn Vantage 3000 or the ProVantage 3500. Can someone tell me if the Polaris mount used for the 2500 will fit the Warn? I don't see specific mounting plates on warn's site? Do I really need the ProVantage or will the Vantage 3000 be far more then enough for my bike?

I'm choosing warn because I need a beefy mother with the plow, the 2500 isn't strong enough in a lot of situations with the plow and pushing some massive banks. I've heard of Viper but I'll pay more if it means not leaving me stuck.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cancel that I have saved my 2500HD winch! Took the motor apart cleaned everything up and noticed that one brush was not making contact, look like the wire attached to the post was tangled. Straightened it out, sanded the contacts and plate and it works just like new!

Spent about 2.5hrs total on it tonight with a buddy and saved me $500 so I'd say that was worth it!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Nice save!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Damn good save.........

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So let me update this thread.

1. it appears that KFI makes the winch mounts for Polaris because the KFI 11-13 Sportsman Mount looks identical to KFI. If that is the case then the XT25 and XT30 are a direct swap. The only thing is the winch is mounted upside down.

2. My winch locked up today and would not winch in or out. I took it apart and could not find a danm thing wrong with it. Once back together it's working again but I can tell it's getting weak and making a lot more noise then before.

So warn makes a replacement RT/XT30 Winch with no accessories at a great price, can anyone tell me if it would work with the Polaris solenoid and wiring?

Warn Part # 74915

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/replacement.shtml

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah everything should work. Just bolt it in and hook up the pos and neg cables. Rewind the cable and should be golden!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah everything should work. Just bolt it in and hook up the pos and neg cables. Rewind the cable and should be golden!
Appreciate the info.

Reading on Warn's site. There is no difference between the XT and RT winches aside from the remote and synthetic vs cable. Also the 2500lbs and 3000lbs XT/RT winches are the same winches. The 2500 version is shipped with 8 gauge cable and the 3000lbs is shipped with 6 gauge.

I got mine locally for $240 taxed in. Throw in the new 50ft synthetic rope I bought and I just got myself an XT2500 for $240 but with no remote. My contactor is a brand new unit so I'm golden.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I personally hate that synthetic sh!t. Tried it on my last atv and switched back to stainless cable...synthetic doesn't hold up in the brush and rocks and I hate that fricken rope protector. By the way, my current view from the house in Tulum...only 75 degrees out...wish it would warm up a bit...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so today I picked up my replacement Warn winch to replace the worn Polaris 2500.

First Off the Winch is a XT/RT, 25/30 Series. XT/RT differences is only the remote and synthetic vs steel. 25/30 series is the same winch except they give you 6 AWG for the 30 series instead of 8 AWG. Price was $240 taxed in up here in Canada and is far cheaper in the states, under $200 for a replacement.

The install was a direct swap but the following should be noted:
- The winch electrical connections are towards the center of the motor instead of the outside end like the Polaris. I drilled a hole in the back of the Winch Mount to allow a socket to pass through to tighten the rear yellow connection. The front Blue connection I had room to stick a 10mm wrench in to tighten the connections.
- Next Item, The winch selector(free spool vs lock) is larger then the Polaris so take caution to center your winch mount to leave enough room so it doesn't touch the frame.
- The winch will be mounted upside down due to Polaris mount.

The winch is so much quieter then the Polaris winch, I was impressed with how little noise it makes. The winch though spools a little slower then the Polaris, I think that's because the Warn is geared lower then the Polaris. Not a big difference, but I noticed a difference.

Here are the pics:

·
Registered
110 Posts
So all you had to do was make that one hole and the warn went right inplace of the polaris

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So all you had to do was make that one hole and the warn went right inplace of the polaris
Yes sir! All the electronics worked, the winch bolts directly in place. The Hole I drilled helped to slide a socket on to the end to tighten the post. Aside from that make sure to center the winch in the mounting bracket so it doesn't sit to low or too high. Too low the free spool switch will touch the frame and too high and the plastics will touch on the fairlead.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great! thanks for the help. my polaris is on its way out. This looks like a great option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts