Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was a kid I've wanted an ATV and the time has finally come. Very excited I found this forum especially since I've got my sights set on a 2005 Sportsman 500 H.O. it seems to be in really good condition with 2400 miles and a second owner who bought it from his best friend. The person seems very legit and honest. I guess I'm posting one to introduce myself and two to get any and all input on this machine. Thanks in advance for reading this and I look forward to reading your responses!

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Hello and welcome. The 500 is one of the best machines Polaris ever made. Enjoy.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hello & Welcome :wave

The Sportsman 500 is a bullet proof, tried and true machine.

No matter how honest they seem, still check the machine over from top to bottom and front to back!!

Some of the main things to look for (IMHO):

1) Runs / Drives good. Should be self explanatory?!

2) Check to make sure the AWD system works (lock it in, goose the throttle and make them spin!! - Ice/snow or gravel help if available). Or up on an ATV jack.... all 4 should spin at same time!!!

3) If up on jacks check for back wheel bearings and tie rod ends....wobbly tires/wheels.

4) All lights and electrical features work? If not this may be a sign of things to come (faulty wiring).

5) Pop the seat off and the air filter box lid and have a look.... if it's clean in there it's likely a "clean machine", as this is 'usually' one spot that isn't cleaned with the pressure washer and cleaning materials!!

6) Machine condition vs. price. Tire condition... is a $500+ expense easily!!

7) Just talk to them and look / listen for things that don't jive!!

LASTLY.... DO NOT PAY OVER $2500 for a 2005 Sportsman 500!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the responses so far. I really appreciate all the input. Price is $2650 with really nice ramps. There is a windshield and heated grips as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So another question I have is what is/are the nessesaties as far as accesories? What is worth spending the money on considering the age of the machine and what is Not? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Accessories are all about how you are gonna use the machine. If you are going to trail ride, then a winch would be a good idea along with some extra storage. I like to have mirrors on my machines to help keep track of the rest of the group I am riding with. You can add whatever accessories you think will make the machine work best for you. Just remember that accessories don't necessarily add to the resale value. They might make it more attractive to the right buyer but you can't ever count on getting your money back for them.
So that brings up is it worth the money? If you plan to keep the machine and ride it, do what makes it work for you. Winches not so much, but a trunk box can follow you from machine to machine if you want to.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So another question I have is what is/are the nessesaties as far as accesories? What is worth spending the money on considering the age of the machine and what is Not? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Accessories are all about how you are gonna use the machine. If you are going to trail ride, then a winch would be a good idea along with some extra storage. I like to have mirrors on my machines to help keep track of the rest of the group I am riding with. You can add whatever accessories you think will make the machine work best for you. Just remember that accessories don't necessarily add to the resale value. They might make it more attractive to the right buyer but you can't ever count on getting your money back for them.
So that brings up is it worth the money? If you plan to keep the machine and ride it, do what makes it work for you. Winches not so much, but a trunk box can follow you from machine to machine if you want to.
Exactly as Stave stated..... it all depends on how your going to use the machine and not so much the age of the machine as you mentioned.

To me on a "work & trail use machine".... I'd say winch, plow, storage, hitching and ride (stiffer front springs if plowing / traction (tires) are most important.

The sky is the limit on what you can spend! Just buy what you think works best for you and your budget!

May I ask your geographic location? As I've seen one closely matching that description in my 'general area'. And by the ad it looks like a great machine.... just a little over priced IMHO. Craig's List Link: https://fargo.craigslist.org/snw/d/detroit-lakes-2005-polaris-ho-500/6776290209.html

I'd still offer the $2500 Cash (in the bank envelope), I had mentioned prior as a general value/max price (but depends a little on your location / local market)..... and then have the extra $100-150 in my back pocket to reach the $2600 or if you really have to the $2650 mark, if it's "the one / the perfect machine" and they aren't willing to negotiate on the price or it's already there "bottom dollar"!! It never hurts to ask.... or make the statement on what you are willing to offer!!!!

·
8,875 Posts
That price is in the ballpark for Blue Book retail value in excellent condition.
I agree with the suggestions above and would add that I always take a jack with me to look at a used machine so you can get the wheels off the ground to check it out. You want to wiggle the wheels to see if there's excessive play in wheel bearings/bushings. I like to get all four wheels off the ground as well to make sure AWD works as it should.
You start at the seller's "asking price" and then as you find issues you deduct the estimated cost of parts/repairs from that as you go.
Ask about service intervals and any records the seller might have.
Check oil and coolant since they are easily accessible and ask the seller about when other fluids have been checked/changed. If they haven't the seller will ho hum around about it. If you get an immediate answer you can be fairly confident they have been.
Does he do his own service or have it done? If done at a dealership you can get detailed records from them with the VIN. It will be on their computer system.
Brakes?
Lights and electrical?
Make sure miles/hours match up. A general rule of thumb is somewhere around a 10 mph average for trail riding. Less (5-8 mph average) if just used around the farm or property. If its way off the speedo may have been inoperative for a while or replaced at some point. With it showing 2400 miles that machine should have somewhere around 200 hours or less.
Finally, as mentioned above, tires are very important to the overall cost. If they will need replaced soon that adds at least $400-$500 or more to the total cost of the machine according to what you buy.
Accessories might add a little back onto your assessment if YOU like/need them. Otherwise you'll have to spend time and effort taking them off and trying to sell them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm selling my 2014 red Sportsman 850 Touring model. Priced at $6,500.

Runs great, low miles and hours.

I'm in Leander, Texas, which is outside of Austin.

Thanks,

Steve Eckart

512-260-2274

·
8,875 Posts
Hello,

I'm selling my 2014 red Sportsman 850 Touring model. Priced at $6,500.

Runs great, low miles and hours.

I'm in Leander, Texas, which is outside of Austin.

Thanks,

Steve Eckart

512-260-2274
You need make your own thread in the "For Sale" section rather than hijack someone else's thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mustbenice gives some good advice on what to look for. I'd add one other thought. While looking in the air box really pay attention to the condition of the air filter. Regardless of how clean or dirty, remove it and with a flashlight and mirror look down the air tube going down to the carburator. If you see and dirt/dust residue walk away. The motor has ingested dirt and it's only a matter of time before it implodes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts