Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. my name is mat,
i just picked up a low hour 2002 scrambler 500 4x4. it has been sitting for approx 5 years but everything including tires are in amazing shape. fuel was left in the gas tank and carb sadly but i have removed everything fuel related and cleaned it all out.
i made the mistake of removing the idle mixture screw without counting how many turns out it was. i put it back with what i usually go by is 1.5 turns out and fine tune from there.(im live at sea level btw) it fires and runs on its own with the choke pulled out, after it has warmed up for a minute i can leave it about half out and it idles and revs great but as soon as i push it in it dies.
it will not start warm or cold without the choke pulled out, even if rev it and push the choke at the same time is sputters and dies... does this sound like a mixture issue? i have tried making a small tool with a flat head to get under the carb to adjust it but cant get in there too easily.
another thing i have noticed is when i pull the choke, the slide in the carb does not move at all while running or not, shouldnt it be moving? the choke knob when pulled is affecting engine as said above but im not sure exactly how... i dont know much about this bike and not many people i can trouble shoot with.. thanks for your time, cant wait to ride this bike

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The choke is actually an enricher. Pulling the knob lifts a plunger that lets extra fuel through the passage. Sun's like your pilot passages aren't completely clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thank you for the reply, I cleaned it and soaked it pretty good but that gives me something to look at for sure, I'm positive it's a carb issue, I read somewhere the idle mixture at sea level should be 2 2.25 turns out, is this correct? I'm going to yank the carb off again and look at it later and want to set the mixture as close as I can if anyone knows the spec.
Also what does the slide do? Does is open up after a certain throttle position is reached or something?
Thanks again

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
2-2.5 turns is where you will probable end up at. The slide opens by vacuum based on the butterfly on the front of the carb that opens with the throttle lever. I find it easiest to just loosen the clamps on the carb boots and rotate the carb a little to get to the mixture screw. Then rotate back, tighten up and try it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! I'm going to start with that and see what I got, I'm roughly at 1.5 turns so
Well see what happens, thanks a ton!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hung up on removing the throttle cable from the inside of the carb, I have read but everything is so vague, how do you remove it?? The more I look at this thing the more angry I get. That brass pin holding the cable does not and looks like it will never slide through that groove, so what is the purpose of the groove...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Turn the brass cam wide open and hold it there rotate the throttle cable to line up cable with slot and remove, its a pain in the butt but be patient it will come

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I was able to remove it, I stripped it down and now it's soaking, something I noticed while pulling it apart, the carb had a black cap over a vacuum port, but the other vacuum port was wide open. Normal? Or should it have been capped to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just wanted to follow up with you guys and let you know the idle circuit was blocked solid. Cleaned it up put it back together took it for a quick ride, she runs unbelievably strong, little boggy when you open it up but it's running a bit rich. But she's alive!
How long does the main belt last for? It's not slipping or anything just would hate to have it snap...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Glad you got it running good. Belts life if taken care of properly should be 3000-5000 miles. Start mudding or towing in high gear and you can cut that to a few feet very easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts