Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1997 Polaris magnum 325. It has not run in about a year. after cleaning fuel tank and carb,changing fluids now ready to start. This is dumn but I can't find start button. key on all lights work ect. Should key turn to a crank (start) position ? if not then How to make it crank ? I'm Not going to pull start with pull rope.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I believe you turn the key to ,on, then push the off-run-off (left handlebar) up to get the starter to crank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Must have a bad switch or wrong switch it don't seem to want to turn like a turn to start switch. I was thinking that because it has four wires going to it five if you count the one ter. that has two wires to it. I will try to read them out to see whats up with them. Thanks for reply

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The key has two positions ON & OFF.

To START;
Set the RED OFF-ON-OFF switch on the LH grip to ON.
In this position it's a button. Push it to crank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
turn the key on and push down on the kill switch, not sure thu some where that way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks: Everyone has been very helpful with this. Now that I know where it is I can look into it to find why it no longer works. Anyone know if there is a relay in that system. When I push the switch up or in it will dim the (N) light but no power to the starter sol. If I install my remote starter button I can start it right up.?? will trace it out in the morning. Thanks again to all that helped.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Check the connector at the left hand control for corrosion and loose fitting terminals. My "99" had loose fitting female terminals and would act up intermittantly, could wiggle that connector and it would start. Cleaned dirt and tightened the tension on the terminals. Buddy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will thanks for the advice. I'm pretty good at tracing out wire harness short comings. With 28 years as a GM line tech at a Cadillac dealer in the north east then ending here in FL. at a Chevy/Pontiac dealer. I'v had my share of corrosion,green slime,salt and water intrusion.
Plus the who the H_ _L did this wiring repair if you know what i'm saying..Thaks again to all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buddy_1
It was the little brass shoe that makes contact when you push up on the run/stop switch. It was as green as green can get. I had already cleaned all the male pins and removed all the wires from connector to clean and check if any were loose on the pins. So I put on my big boy pants and took switch apart. cleaned all contacts & brass shoes a little dielectric grease just like a new switch. The switch is not that hard just take your time and pay close attention when you pull the two half's apart. I used a .030 feller gauge to hold down the contacts when putting it back together with one hand and put top half on.

Now to put body back on. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts