Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: 2002 Sportmans 600 - 4 wheel drive does not work. Front end binds up and makes a grinding noise. Research I’ve done indicates a problem with a cage inside of the differential.

Quad build date is 02/02. Apparently there was a change in 05/02 based on finding parts

Background: This is not my quad. It’s a buddies and we trade work. He’s a painter and I’m a mechanic from way back so naturally he paints for me and I fix his broken stuff.

I’ve used this site numerous times to help figure out problems with this quad. This one I can’t seem to find the answer to. Here is what I’m at.

The differential side of the front shaft has u-joints. The wheel end has a CV. I CAN NOT GET THE U-JOINT END TO POP OUT OF THE DIFFERENTIAL! :motz: I’m pulling on the thing so hard that the differential is moving in the frame. I sprayed some PB blaster on it last night and will try again but I’m not expecting great results. Secondly the roll pin on the yoke side will not budge. Whoever though that up needs to be stabbed with a broken screwdriver……… Here we are 3 nights into this thing and I’m not any farther so my frustration level is getting maxed out.

Now once I’m finally able to get this thing apart what are my options? He wants to put in stronger axles shafts but I can’t seem to find any for the build date prior to 05/02. And are there any aftermarket options to install inside of the differential because I never want to do this again?!

Any, I mean any input will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The only way I've ever heard of them coming apart.... is by getting aggressive. The spines rust and get tight. Spray Lube, Pry & Tap... repeat until out. Than the other side is easier to punch out. While it's apart I'd relube the CV's too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only way I've ever heard of them coming apart.... is by getting aggressive. The spines rust and get tight. Spray Lube, Pry & Tap... repeat until out. Than the other side is easier to punch out. While it's apart I'd relube the CV's too.
Thanks for the reply and no luck again last night. Well I didn't really mess with it to much. My birthday present showed up for my DR-Z

I sprayed some more PB on it and hope to give it a good effort tonight.

Any body have any leads on stronger axles? They have to be replaced regardless as the u-joints failed at one point and ruined the yokes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the PB finally broke the roll pin loose with what I would consider to be unnecessary beating. I may put a grade 8 bolt back in because that is ridiculous.

I still can not get the yokes out. I'm prying on this thing so hard that things are moving that shouldn't. I saw a video on youtube where a guy laid the quad over on its side so the penetrating oil would get down inside. Should this be my next step?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are you able 2 put prybar under one side and another 180 degress from it and then pry up.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Check you tube for a "Polaris Axle Removal Redneck Style"....

I think I'd personally jack it up (level), put a good sized wood block under it (railroad tie or the like). Attach to the axle with a strap or come-along and apply tension for contstant outward preassure (since they need replace anyway). Get a pry bar and a dead blow or brass hammer and have at it!

A co-worker of mine used "Deep Creap" and a prybar & ball pean hammer (working from side to side) to work his out.... second one drove out easier from the removed hole side.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
And the good news on top of all the problems is that of you find as broken cage on there, there is a metal one available now for $400 to replace it with instead of $125.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey mxfever 90, i just replaced my 1/2 axles on my 04 400 today. We had a same problem you have. We made a tool using a dent puller and modified it with a hook on one end. The puller is a 16 inch round bar threaded on both ends with weighted sleeve(handle) that the bar runs thru with a double nut threaded on one end and the hook welded to a nut on the other end. We then triple wrapped a loop of aircraft cable around the u-joint near the front differential. we had sprayed the splined area with penetrating oil earlier. We slid the sleeve down the bar 3 times briskly and the axle popped out. This was way easier than the redneck video of turning your quad on it's side. I hope this helps you. It worked great for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks papajohn! The slide hammer gave me an idea. I don't have a slide hammer so I made a bar with a plate on both ends, one to slide behind the u-joint and the other to smack with a hammer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Three smacks on the right side and it was out, 2 smacks on the left and it was out. And another note: You can not see through the differential on this quad. there is what looks like a thrust bearing between the two.

Now, this is what we have. As suspect the plastic cage has exploded. What are my options? I sure do not want to put another plastic one in it and go through this again. And we're still trying to come up with an upgrade to the axle shafts. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There is an upgraded aluminum cage available. Just did one on an 850 for $430 right from Polaris. Not sure if they make one for the 800, but I know they are available aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well the frustration just keeps piling up.

I was incorrect on the build date. The number was partially scratched off.

It's build date was 12/5/2002. Now if I search for this quad in OEM parts finder, a 2002 sportsman 600 does not exist. It does not show up until 2003 model year. All of the parts listed have a NOTE: POST 5/02. So where do I find parts for a PRE 5/02? Both front axle shafts need to be replaced. It had a u-joint failure at one thime that ruined the shaft side yokes on both sides but I can't find any that will fit this quad.

Apparantly Polaris frequently does mid model year changes. FRUSTRATING!!!! This same quad lost spark a couple of years ago. After researching the CDI/Coil were an intigraded unit made by Ducati and there was a kit to upgrade them to seperate units. If I remember right it had the wiring, stator, cdi, coil and everything with it for a hefty price tag. Ironic part is the mounting brackets and holes were already in the frame for the newer components so why was it still built with parts with known issues? Not impressed.

Do you all think this thread would be better if it was moved to the maintenance repair issue section?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Your machine is an 03. With most mfgs build dates after about sept-0ct of a year are the following model year designation. Looks like the cutoff for most of the parts was 10-3-02 so you should have the newer stuff that is the same for many years after. The axle shaft P/N you need is 1380222 and if you want t o do complete assemblies 1380218. I also see a listing for an aluminum roller cage for it, but no P/N listed for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your machine is an 03. With most mfgs build dates after about sept-0ct of a year are the following model year designation. Looks like the cutoff for most of the parts was 10-3-02 so you should have the newer stuff that is the same for many years after. The axle shaft P/N you need is 1380222 and if you want t o do complete assemblies 1380218. I also see a listing for an aluminum roller cage for it, but no P/N listed for it.
I thank you! What are your thoughts on this?

2002 06 Polaris Sportsman 600 700 Complete Front Differential Rebuild Kit | eBay

So in your opinion do you think these HD shafts would work?

2002 Polaris Sportsman 600 4x4 Post 5 1 02 Heavy Duty Front CV U Joint Axle | eBay

I can't seem to determine what the importance is of the post and pre 5/1/02 date.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I thank you! What are your thoughts on this?

2002 06 Polaris Sportsman 600 700 Complete Front Differential Rebuild Kit | eBay

So in your opinion do you think these HD shafts would work?

2002 Polaris Sportsman 600 4x4 Post 5 1 02 Heavy Duty Front CV U Joint Axle | eBay

I can't seem to determine what the importance is of the post and pre 5/1/02 date.
Description on diff kit says 04-06, but title says 02-06. Looks like it will all work and the price is good too. The post 10-3-02 build is the same as 04 too.

These are the axles you need for sure, and have the same specs as the ones you posted. Count your splines and make sure they are the same.

2003 Polaris 4x4 Sportsman 600 Post 10 3 02 OE Type Front Left Right CV Axle | eBay

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Many thanks papajohn! The slide hammer gave me an idea. I don't have a slide hammer so I made a bar with a plate on both ends, one to slide behind the u-joint and the other to smack with a hammer.

Three smacks on the right side and it was out, 2 smacks on the left and it was out. And another note: You can not see through the differential on this quad. there is what looks like a thrust bearing between the two.

Now, this is what we have. As suspect the plastic cage has exploded. What are my options? I sure do not want to put another plastic one in it and go through this again. And we're still trying to come up with an upgrade to the axle shafts. Any suggestions?

I don't say this to guys very ofter, but...... Nice Tool!! :D

Glad to hear you're making headway!

Remember.... put "anti-seize" on the spines when reinstalled, to save any possible future headaches!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't say this to guys very ofter, but...... Nice Tool!! :D
Can't say I hear that often either!!

So parts are starting to come in. Anybody know where I can get instructions on the right way if you will to replace the bearings? I don't want to press something wrong and cause more damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts