Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals,

Not sure where to post this so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I just recently purchased a Brutus HD with PTO. The attachment I purchased was the snow blower. LOVING the machine but having issues with the blower.

Literally on day two of owning it I blew out the middle two shear bolts on the auger. Called the dealership I purchased it from and asked "what shear bolts should I use"? What shear rating should they be? No one could tell me. So I purchased a 5/16 X 2inch bolt with a rating of 2. First hour sheared off three of the bolts again. The two middles and 1 more middle on the right. This blower has two outer bolts and two inner bolts. So I looked at the two outer bolts and they had the markings on the head of a bolt rated for a 5.

So I went out and purchased a set of 5/16 X 2inch rated at a 5. Used those for about an hour, took one of the bolts out just to see if it was showing signs of wearing. Damn near sheared these off.

I am scared at going to an 8 in fear of damaging the gear box. I have read the owners manual and I am not running the front PTO at more than 2000 RPM's, (running around 1950 RPM) and I am not going too fast through snow either. Fairly confident I am not hitting anything for I have an asphalt driveway.

Anyone with any thoughts on what in the world I am doing wrong, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Since I am shearing off bolts, I am assuming I don't have the correct rated bolt in there. But I cannot find any documentation on what Polaris recommends I use.

Thanks all

P.S. Sorry I wrote a novel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you going through ice with the machine? I'm not familiar with the blower attachment, but cannot think of any reason why it should be shearing bolts like that. Perhaps you're getting into solid ice which would be like hitting a rock with the auger, no matter how fast or slow you went with it. It sounds odd to me that no one at the dealership would know about the machine. That seems like a common question which would come up often.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The snow I was going through was a little harder/compact snow from drifting. But it wasn't a ton of it and it wasn't very deep. Not hitting ice, that I am aware of. But I have a John Deere blower on the front of my LA125 tractor and I have never sheared a bolt or anything. I have hit news papers with that thing, it stalled the engine but didn't shear any pins...... Hmmmm

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, "Nothing stops a deer" - we all know that. Maybe check the rating on the pins on the Deer and replace with similar.

Where is it shearing the pins, at the head or more in the middle? What torque are you wrenching them to? Perhaps not enough (or even too much)? This is where I'm surprised the dealership or support for the product doesn't have adequate knowledge to lead you in the right direction. I would presume that an improperly torqued bolt would shear no matter what the rating, once even minimal stress is placed on the auger.

I apologize, as I really don't have much knowledge in the actual machine you have - but I am an engineer so just trying to lend some of my working experience here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No I appreciate your help!

Here is the issue, I can't find any documentation on what shear bolts I should be using. The outer bolts are a 5 rating, but they don't drive the auger. Not sure why they need shear bolts on the outer edge of the auger anyway. So I am wondering if I need an 8 in the center bolts that drive the auger. Scared to just jump into an 8 when I don't know for certain. :(

The bolts I am shearing off are the center auger drive bolts. When they go, they both go. (usually) I am not over torquing them, at least my knowledge. I could see under torquing them then they slide in and out causing an issue. Over torquing them I would think would simply lead to bending the auger tubing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I believe your concern is valid. I would want the bolts to shear instead of putting unwanted stress on the drive motor or shaft. You want to be your point of failure to have the cheapest recourse in replacement. That being said, I would try the dealership one more time (or even call the manufacturer) to see what rating and torque those bolts should be set at. Are you hand wrenching them on, or using a hydraulic wrench? I'm just wondering if the vibration may be loosening the replacement bolts thus causing them to shear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe your concern is valid. I would want the bolts to shear instead of putting unwanted stress on the drive motor or shaft. You want to be your point of failure to have the cheapest recourse in replacement. That being said, I would try the dealership one more time (or even call the manufacturer) to see what rating and torque those bolts should be set at. Are you hand wrenching them on, or using a hydraulic wrench? I'm just wondering if the vibration may be loosening the replacement bolts thus causing them to shear.
I am hand wrenching them on. I have used the lock nuts and I have used nylon threaded. I don't believe in either case the bolts are loosing. The last bolt I inspected, the nut was tight, I took the bolt out just to see how it was holding up and it was on it's way to being sheared.

I can't imagine every time I use the machine I should expect to shear a bolt. I don't know, maybe. In all blowers I have used in the past, walk behinds and etc I have never sheared a bolt. :(

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same, I've never sheared a bolt on a blower before either. You should not have to be replacing bolts on any part of the machine (at least not yet.) If you can't find help at the dealership, I would just return the product and look into a different manufacturer if they don't offer to replace it or help you with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same, I've never sheared a bolt on a blower before either. You should not have to be replacing bolts on any part of the machine (at least not yet.) If you can't find help at the dealership, I would just return the product and look into a different manufacturer if they don't offer to replace it or help you with it.
I've got another call into the dealer I purchased it from, haven't heard back yet. This is am amazing blower though, really want to just get this figured out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hear ya. If I had one, I would want it working too. They seem like killer machines, and I'm sure having one on the ATV would make much quicker work than being on the tractor. Not to mention, I'm sure your tractor gets as stuck in the snow as mine does. I feel like I spend more time digging it out then I do plowing.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
maybe time to check with a different dealership too if the one you bought it from doesn't have the training/knowledge of the machine and it's attachments that you need. Many dealerships out there are just bad eggs. They want your money, not your problems. Not saying this is the case, but Customer service is in this country has gone to crap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya. If I had one, I would want it working too. They seem like killer machines, and I'm sure having one on the ATV would make much quicker work than being on the tractor. Not to mention, I'm sure your tractor gets as stuck in the snow as mine does. I feel like I spend more time digging it out then I do plowing.
Yes, my LA125 is a great machine, don't get me wrong, but it can't hold a candle to what the Brutus does.

This is the first time I have owned a shaft driven machine. The user manual is lacking a little. Not sure if that's because this is a new machine for Polaris or if all manuals lack a bit. I used to own a chain driven 4wheeler. What lube maintenance needs to be done on a shaft driven machine? So far I haven't really found many lube spots to apply grease.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe time to check with a different dealership too if the one you bought it from doesn't have the training/knowledge of the machine and it's attachments that you need. Many dealerships out there are just bad eggs. They want your money, not your problems. Not saying this is the case, but Customer service is in this country has gone to crap.
Agreed. I have checked with 2 other dealerships, same response. One dealer said "just throw a shear bolt that is rated at 8 in there". LOL

Are Polaris dealerships like Ford or chevy dealerships? I don't need to bring it into the dealer i purchased from for warranty work do I?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I agree with Thor..but maybe a call to the company who makes them will resolve some issues...explain all the shearing of the pins..maybe there is something wrong....your not injesting any thing in the auger so something seems off some where....dealers like to sell a product but dont like when you have a problem...customer service in this country has gone down the tubes...most think a warranty is when your brake lights are out of site it ended..call the company...ask to speak to engineering

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with Thor..but maybe a call to the company who makes them will resolve some issues...explain all the shearing of the pins..maybe there is something wrong....your not injesting any thing in the auger so something seems off some where....dealers like to sell a product but dont like when you have a problem...customer service in this country has gone down the tubes...most think a warranty is when your brake lights are out of site it ended..call the company...ask to speak to engineering
How do I find out who makes the blower for Polaris? Serial number look-up somewhere?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
trying googleing the model/serial numbers. some times that works for me.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Parts Finder TEAM Motorsports De Pere, WI 920-983-TEAM (8326)

#34 is the center shear bolts. doesn't indicate the rating, but they are $25 a piece! :wtf:

#40 is the outer Shears and they are only $0.72.

Time to figure out what the right ones are. they obviously are stronger than a shear 5. if you've still got the main shaft to the auger shear intact that is the one you need to check and match. as it's the same one as the two center shear's on the auger.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
look on the engine tag...or where the serial number is...it may have who made it on there...if you cant find out who..call Polaris direct and ask..explain situation and no help from dealer....but some one made it for polaris....may have to goggle ATV snow blowers and see if you can find a match up....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Parts Finder TEAM Motorsports De Pere, WI 920-983-TEAM (8326)

#34 is the center shear bolts. doesn't indicate the rating, but they are $25 a piece! :wtf:

#40 is the outer Shears and they are only $0.72.

Time to figure out what the right ones are. they obviously are stronger than a shear 5. if you've still got the main shaft to the auger shear intact that is the one you need to check and match. as it's the same one as the two center shear's on the auger.
Honestly I don't even understand why they have shear bolts on the outer auger bar, they don't drive it at all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts