Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I am looking at a 07 Polaris Sportsman EFI with 290miles on it. It is pretty loaded up with Polaris Accessories like heated grips, winch, and plow. It has been checked out at the dealer and given a documented clean bill of health. The guy is asking $5400 but just talking not really negotiating he said he would go to $4900 or 5. Price seems a little high but around here in Colorado I have been looking at machines around the 5K range for months and they all have at least 2500mi on them. What do you guys think. Is it worth paying a little more to get one with under 300 miles or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You should be able to get a new 500HO for that. Mind you, it wont have all the accessories.

Does the 07 have EBS engine braking? The new ones no longer come with it, but it is an option.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He called it Active Descent Control but there was a EBS sticker on the belt cover so I think that means it has the engine braking.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
He called it Active Descent Control but there was a EBS sticker on the belt cover so I think that means it has the engine braking.
Some of those had ADC. As long as the fluid was changed regularly, should be trouble free.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Used atv prices can be funny. So you know, EBS applies only to the rear wheels, and is 100% full time (can't shut it off). ADC is basically EBS to the front tires, is able to be turned off electronically, and certain conditions must be met for it to active (like speed cap). Pretty cool system though if kept in good shape as it allows you to go down steep hillsides without brakes.

What kind of plow, and what kind of winch is on it? The polaris winches back than had pretty severe issues with the solenoid failing.

I think new that machine was about $6K. You just have to weight whether you want to spend that money on something used, or basically the same money to get something new minus the accessories which total about $1K in retail cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THe guy that bought this ride bought it new with the Polaris accessories. So the plow and winch are Polaris and were installed at the time he bought it. There are service records that show 2 oil changes in the 290 miles and both were done at the dealer. I don't think there was any more services needed at 290miles then oil changes. Is there?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
He should of change the front diff, adc, and rear trans/ diff fluid.

How many hours is that?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
It's recommended by Polaris all fluids changed yearly (although I'd go 2-3 years easy on coolant and brake fluid).

How many hours does the machine have?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't remember exactly but it was under 50 hours. Is it recommended to use synthetic oils like Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Royal Purple for all of the fluids? I am really on the fence on this one. It is real close to a new one but lots of extras. The local dealer is a real hard ass they sell MSRP or nothing. I live in a military town and they have no shortage of customers. To get any better deal I will have to drive out of state which has it's own draw backs. So I guess I am kinda leaning toward going for it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a similar dilemma, $4-5k for a used machine vs $5200 for a brand new one? Seemed like a no brainer at the time. I don't regret buying mine new. But, I definitely have put way more money into it than I anticipated. Not in repairs, but just including tax, winch, bumpers, heated grips, tires, hand guards, and an expensive warranty... I'm probably like $7-8 grand deep in this thing. If I had this perspective back when I was shopping around, a $4500 6 year old (loaded) machine would have been a lot more attractive.

After I bought mine, my neighbor bought the same machine, but 4 years old for $4500. His is virtually the same machine as mine, in just as good of shape, and has been equally reliable. Hurts to think he's invested almost 4,000 less than me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I think I am going to go and ride it on Tuesday and see. Is there anything special to look at on these besides loose and worn feeling suspension parts, torn cv boots, and smoking engines?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
batttery currosion, working lights, all your switches work smoothly, air filter is in good shape.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would have him throw in a complete fluid change and lube if I were contemplating paying close to MSRP for a 6 year old machine.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I would have him throw in a complete fluid change and lube if I were contemplating paying close to MSRP for a 6 year old machine.
I'll second that, but then again, I wouldn't be paying that much for a 6 yr old machine. I'd buy a new one and happily pay for the new accessories that I can't build myself. that way I get exactly what I want and have the warrenty to back it up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For what it's worth, I paid $5700 for my 09 just over a month ago. I think I got a great deal on it. Only had 70 hours on it with 680 miles. Came with lots of extras as well. It did take me a long time to find one at this price that was in such great shape. Most of the ones I looked at were torn up and way over priced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am thinking that you could probably swing a new 570 for around 5k once they put some rebates on it.

I would not be looking used. I just really try to avoid used powersports stuff unless it is only a few months old, really clean, and really low hours.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think the ADC on the 07 could not be shut off. No switch. I could be wrong...

Sean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts