Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sportsman 850 SP Pursuit Camo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first ATV a few weeks ago. I've been riding them for years, but had always used my family's ATVs in the past. Figured it was about time to get my own, so I picked up a brand new 2019 Sportsman 850 SP. I cannot believe how much the new machines have changed (was using an 08 800HO up to this point). Looking forward to putting some miles on it and learning what I can about it along the way!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome and congrats. You’ll love the 850 and there are lots of great peeps with tons of knowledge on here.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Welcome to the group. I also upgraded from an 06 800 to a 2019 8580Sp Premium, Hang on!!!

Also a cheese head. There are pictures of mine on the home page, Top Photos, on this sight.

·
Premium Member
9,295 Posts
Nice machine congrats and welcome!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the group. I also upgraded from an 06 800 to a 2019 8580Sp Premium, Hang on!!!

Also a cheese head. There are pictures of mine on the home page, Top Photos, on this sight.
Yea there's a lot more snot on the 850 for sure. I didn't realize how much different the engines were, thought it was just swapping to longitudinal mount and going a bit bigger, but obviously there's a lot more to it than that.

I've seen the pics of your ATV when I was looking at the site before I joined, that's a good looking machine. How do you like the new style rear box? Better than the older style?? I'm debating between that or possibly a Kolpin (looks like I might be able to keep the tie-down rails if I go with the Kolpin, and I want them for a spare fuel can).

I definitely want a spare fuel can for this, at least, if it burns fuel like the 800 does. I ride with mostly 500's, so they can go further than I can before needing to refuel. Also working on putting together what I want to keep in the ATV as far as tools and emergency stuff. I read through the pinned post about it and that gave me a lot of great ideas.

I put the bumpers and the 3500 HD winch on it the day I bought it. Just waiting for trails to open so I can go use it some!

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Love the new style box. Ample room, can put 2 full face size helmets and shut the lid.

Only thing that I know that is open is the Badlands ATV park in Indiana.

We had a group of 10 that were scheduled to leave yesterday for HMT in WV yesterday for a 10 day trip and the governor shut down all the trails in WV

Where in Wi are you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love the new style box. Ample room, can put 2 full face size helmets and shut the lid.

Only thing that I know that is open is the Badlands ATV park in Indiana.

We had a group of 10 that were scheduled to leave yesterday for HMT in WV yesterday for a 10 day trip and the governor shut down all the trails in WV

Where in Wi are you
We have the old style box on the 800, and my only complaint is it doesn't seal out dust well. Although, I don't know if any really do. The new box seems kind of like the Project Rushmore baggers from Harley...the tour pak looks smaller on them, but it's actually much roomier and more sleek.

In in NE Wisco, in Kewaunee County. I'm actually not far from Riverview ATV Park, but they don't open until May.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
The new style box is water and dust tight. I did replace the seal that came with it new with a foam round 1/2" baker rod from Menards. It was $4.99 for a 25' roll, enough to replace it 4 times. After some friends seen what I did because theirs leaked they did the same thing..... no dust at all.

Last summer 5 of us started in Pembine, Wi and did a 5 day loop to the UP all the way to Copper Harbor and back. We packed clothes and had motels preset along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Here is how I carry spare gas, four 1 1/4 gal cans= 5 gallons

On the 06 800 I had box on front lid.
On the 19 850 I carry it on the back.
gas 1.jpg
gas 2.jpg
wash.jpg

We were at the car wash getting the red Mi clay off...

I have 2 different size tool boxes, one holds 3 gas cans, and the other holds 4 gas cans. Both boxes hold the gas cans snug, either 3 or 4.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Here is how I mounted my Garmin GPS176 Map, tucked underneath the faring out of the sun with a RAM Mount.
GPS1.jpg
GPS2.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at getting one or two of these: Fuel Pack Bracket for Polaris® ATV | Kolpin
And then one or two of these to go with the mounts: Amazon.com: RotopaX FX-3.5 FuelpaX 3-1/2 Gallon Gas Can.: Automotive

Hoping I can get a box that lets me keep the rear rack tie-down pieces, so I can put the tank brackets on those and have them on either side on the back. Would give me about 7gal of fuel.

There's definitely more room in the front compartment on the 800 than there is on the 850, so that's a bummer, but I'm sure it'll be enough room.

I like the toolbox idea. What are you using to strap that to on the 850?

I am looking at getting a GPS for the ATV. All I have now is car units, and I'm not thinking those will work well on the trails due to the dust and mud. Partial to Garmin, and I know WATVA offers maps for all the trails in the state that work on a Garmin. A windshield is also on the list, just deciding which size I want. Have the big touring one on the 800, and that's nice.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I made a custom 2" receiver for the back, I can either carry the gas can or a spare mounted tire.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I can use many options on the rear, even a hitch haul...

hitch.jpg
hitch haul.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Enjoy that ride. Have a 1996 Xplorer 400L that still runs great. Take care of the maintenance and it will take care of you. I’m glad I got a shop manual, not needed for repair, but good reading about the machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome aboard! That new beast should be fun to drive. Lots of cool mod ideas here.
I've already seen a bunch of neat ideas that I may need to try. I've also come to realize that the ATV was just the opening purchase. I find myself wanting to get a bunch of stuff to keep in the ATV, as well as a trailer that will hold 3-4 ATVs. Going to be an expensive year!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts