Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new around here. Bought a used 09 Sportsman XP 850 just a little over a month ago and found this place searching around the web. I took it to Windrock Park the other weekend and all I can say is this machine is a BEAST! I can't believe the stuff I went through. After two days of nothing but hitting the trails hard my legs were so sore I could barely walk.

So far, I haven't done anything to it. Everything was done by the previous owner who only put 70 hours on it. I think skid plates are in order as well as a winch. Wouldn't mind getting one of those nice rear seat/storage boxes to make the wife more comfortable when she is riding with me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people and great information here! :rock:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad to hear you enjoyed that's what I'm looking for is a Polaris 850 XP. How is the power. Also is it comfortable for you and your wife. Sometimes the wife being more comfortable is more important than you lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this is my first ATV so I don't have anything to compare it to but it has tons of power. I had a friend ride it who has ridden many ATVs and he said this was the most powerful and comfortable by far. He calls it the Cadillac.

I find it to be very comfortable myself and it has gone through some stuff I would have thought impossible. I have been ridding street bikes for 30 years and only rode an off road machine a few times before buying this one. By the second day at Coal Creek I was hitting the water breaks and getting 3-4 feet of air. This thing is a beast. If you get one you will not regret it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's great to hear has me super pumped. I have owned quite a few but this will be the first absolute monster. I want all the torque and power but still need the comfort for the wife and myself. I am a motorcycle rider as well I've rode street bikes atw up until 3 years ago when I bought my VTX 1800 and with things I've down its a powerhouse so I need that in an ATV.
Does your wife enjoy the ride as well and its good to hear your friends happiness with it as well. Where in TN are you from I live in Alabama and would like to get to know some folks to meet up with once in awhile to ride when we get the new quad. It will still be about 6 months or so maybe sooner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, I have a 05 VTX 1300S myself. Love it but wish I had the 1800 for the extra power.

My wife says it's comfortable but she would like a backrest. Sometimes she feels she may fall off even when holding on to me. So far I have only rode with her around my yard (5 acres) so we haven't done anything crazy on it together yet. When I went to Coal Creek I went without her. I don't think she would ride on it without a backrest and some handles to hold on to on most of the trails I went on.

I live in Portland TN but am originally from upstate NY. I lived in FL for about 20 years before moving to TN. Cole Creek is about 3 hours from my house and I plan on going often. I have the fever now. :rock: My wife wants us to get a UTV next so we may just end up buying a Polaris RZR XP 1000. We'll see.:ponder:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow that's awesome man VTX is are definitely awesome. I bought the 18 on a quick whim because it was a spectacular deal . I wouldn't have went any other way now that I have it, it's just too bad Hondas quads don't impress me like their bikes.

That's cool so another northerner. I am originally from Maryland. I move from there in late 99 early 2000 and work here in Huntsville on Marshall Space Flight Center it's the NASA portion of redstone arsenal . I love it though I haven't wanted to leave sense. I looked at that place up it is a little over 3 hours from where I live is well . So once I get this quad we will have to meet up and go riding sometime either on quads or motorcycles if you're up for it.

My wife and I are always up for meeting new friends. I'm not sure exactly how much should go riding on the quad but I know it won't be as much as me lol. I think she will eventually fall in love with it , the motorcycle didn't and those her at first either but now all she wants to do is ride. We have the Trail of Tears coming up this weekend. Have you ever been on that ride?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good to me. I'm always eager to meet fellow bikers and off-road enthusiasts. My wife will likely not be with me every time I go to Cole Creek since we have kids, dogs and cats to worry about. I'm hoping to get the entire family up there soon though. May have to rent some quads so everyone can ride.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know the feeling its def different when u have kids. We have our second girl due in a month. I'm sure my wife will not be with me every time either. I didn't know if I asked if you've ever rode the Trail of Tears or not but if you haven't its a must at some point for all motorcyclists. Is there a place to rent quads out there? The few places I've seen to rent cost so much you can buy a cheap quad for about the same lol. We are hoping to make a trip to the Hatfield McCoy trails in late May. I can't wait for that either. Not to be nosey or forward are you and your wife older/younger?

The Enforcer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have not done the Trail of Tears but it sounds like fun.

I have heard that there are several places to rent quads at Coal Creek but I have never rented any myself so I don't know the cost. From what I understand they will actually deliver the quad to your cabin if you are staying at Windrock and then pick it up so all you need to do is pay and ride.

I would say we are younger but I guess that depends on your definition of young. I am 45 and my wife is 4 years older then I. I still feel like I am 18 but sometimes my body reminds me that I'm not a kid anymore. What about you?

By the way, I have the following mods on my VTX1300S
- Mustang Studded Sport Touring Seat with Driver Backrest
- MC Enterprises Sissy Bar w/Studded Pad
- Kuryakyn Saddle Bags
- Kuryakyn Ergo Engine Guard
- Windshield
- Custom Grips
- Custom Mirrors

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its a blast being a bike rider there's nothing like it last year they said the count was 150,00 bikes 250,000 riders. It depends who u ask my wife says I'm like an 80 year old cause of my aches and pains lol. Bad car wreck when I was 21. Young dumb and got in the car with a friend I shouldn't have, oh well can't change fate.

Thats cool we are on the younger side but other than looks we are behind our years. We have very few friends just because we aren't interested in anything most folks our age are. I'm 27 going on 40 lol and my wife is soon to be 22. We don't drink or party just sit home with our baby or work, unless were riding :) Most of our friends are your age spend a lot if time with my dad and his friends so nothing but family as were concerned.
We just stay more concerned about enjoying life, each other, and having the things we want so tends to separate people. I'm sure my dad would come riding out that way too. He loves outdoors and loves to ride. He is currently shopping for a quad as well. We have a few older ones but need to upgrade and get size as well. We got a few old big reds, a polaris 325 and a recon. So the 850 will be a huge upgrade the biggest I had before was a Suzuki Vinson 500 and a few racing atvs. We just can't wait to get them and hit all the territories around to ride camp and just enjoy the outdoors.

The Enforcer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We don't party much ourselves but we do on occasion. Moving out to the country makes it hard to find friends since our neighbors are so far away. We have lots of friends in Florida but here in Tennessee not so many. We stay home most of the time due to the kids and animals. I have 5 acres to ride my quad on but that gets boring after a while. I do have some minor climb areas and a creek to ride over and down though. Thinking on renting a backhoe and creating some more challenging obstacles to play on.

This Saturday, I'm thinking on going to a place called B&J's trails up in Kentucky which is only about 45 minutes from me. It's a private home with some land they turned in to an ATV/Dirt bike park. Not sure how good it is but it's close so worth a try. I can't say enough about the 850. It's incredible.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
We don't party much ourselves but we do on occasion. Moving out to the country makes it hard to find friends since our neighbors are so far away. We have lots of friends in Florida but here in Tennessee not so many. We stay home most of the time due to the kids and animals. I have 5 acres to ride my quad on but that gets boring after a while. I do have some minor climb areas and a creek to ride over and down though. Thinking on renting a backhoe and creating some more challenging obstacles to play on.

This Saturday, I'm thinking on going to a place called B&J's trails up in Kentucky which is only about 45 minutes from me. It's a private home with some land they turned in to an ATV/Dirt bike park. Not sure how good it is but it's close so worth a try. I can't say enough about the 850. It's incredible.
What part of Tennessee are you in. Middle Tennessee here, and have been to Windrock also

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What part of Tennessee are you in. Middle Tennessee here, and have been to Windrock also
Middle Tennessee as well. I'm just northeast of Nashville in a small town called Portland.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Middle Tennessee as well. I'm just northeast of Nashville in a small town called Portland.
I'm southeast of Nashville in a smaller town called Woodbury. I'm 61 years old but still love this sport

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is a place u can go that tells about different parks per state requirements, reviews, videos, etc. Once in awhile I may drink a little with the old man just rare he's the partier ha ha. But we enjoy good times and good friends. That place I'm talking about I want to say is called ATVtrailrider.com if u type in ATV trails in TN it should pop right up in Google. I'm excited about the sportsman.

I was looking at the brute for white a bit really liked the look and feel. I also checked out the can ams as well but there to pricey for the diff. I started checking out the polaris 850 more and more and just have fallen in love with all that's said about it the only thing I wasn't sure I'd like is the shifter being so long looks as if it may get in the way on it. Do you have any problems with that and is it always in four wheel, like u can't break it a little sideways in corners. My buddy has a Honda that's all time all wheel drive and its nice but not much fun at all.

I was curious is yours an xp and are all xp models H.O.? Is that track open to the public? What exhaust do u have I would like a pipe to have it resemble my motorcycle in sound not the typical ATV sound. It seems very achievable with that big bore and the exhaust there making now days.

The Enforcer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts