Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1999 scrambler 400 and just had top end built with new namura piston and rings, but it keeps fouling plugs, by the way the injection system is disabled and i have tried mixing 32/1, 40/1 and 50/1 but it still fouls out. can anyone help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Do you know that as a fact??? Have you removed them and looked at the #'s??? Or just assuming. Every sign says fuel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i found out that its not fouling plugs, the fan wasnt working and now it doesnt have that problem, but when i hook the battery up it will only idle and when u give it gas it tries to die, unless u push the starter button then it will go, unless u cut it off and let it cool but when it warms back up it does the same thing

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
sounds like the kill-run switch is going bad,you could try taking it apart and cleaning it, kinda difficult to get back together.
You may want to follow the wires from the handlebars to under the hood and you should see a black wire, unplug it and see it this helps. it is what makes your kill switch work.
try e-bay or new for a switch and please get that fan running soon, you don't want to melt that new piston. It may just need a fan switch, which is located at the top of the radiator,using a jumper wire at these 2 terminals will make it come on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i tried unplugging the black wire like u said but it didnt help, all it did was make my fan quit. i dont think it is the kill switch, it has something to do with the starter button cause when u push it while it is runnin it revs like its suppose to. any other ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but if i unplug the red wire wit white stripe coming from the handlebar switch it runs fine, i just lose power to the fan and 4x4. this is really baffling me please hellppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i finally figured it out, it was the stupid sensor inside the throttle housing, thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got a new problem, i have a hole melted in my piston right in the middle where the spark plug sits, the injection system is blocked off, and it is bored 20 over with factory 230 main jet, could that be part of the reason it melted my piston? and also i was runnin a B7ES plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think it calls for a br8es plug, but the only way it can be runnin lean is with the jet right? since its mixed about 40-1?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts