Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not new to quads but new to utility quads. I picked up an 09 sportsman 400 ho. I got a winch and a plow but need brackets for both. I currently have a bracket for the warn winch (warn 73680) but I need (85104. Or I think. Is there a way to make this current bracket fit? Also got a new moose plow. I need a mount for that also. Unless the mount on it now (2003 sportsman 700) will work. Otherwise I need part number (moose 45010060). I was just introducing myself, and my problems, lol now I will go post in appropriate forums. Thank you. If you have any of the parts mentioned give me a call at 3097213246. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Midsized!!

Welcome to the Forum and the Midsized family.

I do not have a direct answer to your question but if you visit this site and input your current bike find the part number of your frame you can look up which other machines have the same frame. (same attachment points for your plow) although seeing how we have the same frame I do not believe the 2003 700 will help you out.

here is a link the better describes how to reverse look things up.

Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot !!! Looks like 08-10 for most parts. Gotta local dealer that will order on Monday and get them on Tuesday. Might just have to do that.

While I got you on the horn .....man I feel like this quad is redlining. I'm used to my Kfx 400 and other sport quads I have ridden and owned. Idk if it's just how this specific utility quad is supposed to be or not.....? When I go to take off it revs up real high. It still drives and shifts but just seems odd to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
response

I am by far an expert on these machines but I have been tinkering for a bit. I was having the exact opposite problem. And I found playing with the idle adjustment screw helped out alot.

I inquired about a clutch kit and there is no "kit" for our bikes. But we have alot of options. There are 10 different OEM roller weights that you could get for these clutches. They come stock with 19.5 grams, which is high. Maybe with lighter rollers (or removing two) it would hasten up the driven clutch compressing. I havn't messed around yet but will be once I do a little more research.

It is super easy to get at the weights, just need the proper sized socket (thinking 1 1/8 or 1/4) and a torque wrench that does 185 ft/lbs.

It was also suggested to me that the 500 h.o. clutch may work on our bikes, and it has the more common clutch with ready to order kits.

Also, don't forget to adjust your throttle play, you prob want it about 1/8.

Sorry about just filling your head with ideas, but thats what I like about these toys!!

Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try those things when I get home. Although it idles fine. Just as i start to accelerate the engine REALLY revs up high. I am just wondering if this is how these 400 ho are supposed to be as I'm used to sport quads.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Roger

Yeah they do. Get yourself a tach and post your rpm at ideal and engagement. Playing with the rollers will defintly help lower the engagement rpm. Try taking out 2 opposing each other.

And let me know. You can be my guinea pig
Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't even know where these rollers are you are talking about. just got this quad yesterday. i think i am just freaking myself out. i wish there was a way to let you hear it. i guess i could send you a video via cell phone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Service manual

Your lucky day!

free service manual for you at this link here!!

Download the 300 - 400 one and this will be a life saver.

CVT is chapter 6 and you can see the rollers on page 6.9. Also, the beginning of chapter 6 is a little description of all your weights. It doesn't get into what weights will give you what type of performance but that's the fun part with trail and error.

Scott

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tires

Does it have the stock Titan 489's tires on it or did it come with aftermarket? what size and type are they if aftermarket?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he gave me a cd with the pdf manual on it. its 283 pages i think. is that the same thing. and not sure on tires. i can check

1 - 12 of 12 Posts