Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am new here and figured I would say hi and start off asking ?????

I have a 2013 Xp850 it's warranty is up next week. Well last week I was out late spotting for deer. I was coming down a steep hill and had the ADC on. I pulled out onto the gravel road and the bike felt like it had four flat tires and was making a weird noise. I checked all four wheels and axles. I started driving again and the bike just felt like it was coming apart, I hit a bump and I heard something and it was fine after this. I called two local dealers and both were useless.

Well a week later I started having other issues. I turned the key and did not hear the Efi prime. I started it and shut it off. I waited a few mins tried again. This time the Efi priming sounded off. This continued on and off while I looked at the fuses and relays. It also was noted the bike was running rough. So I called another dealer further away that I've used before. He had me bring it in the next day.

He called me today and said that my quad was only firing on one clyinder. He said he had to order some NGK hotter plugs and hopes this would fix this. I questioned the Efi ? He said that was normal that the Efi only primes when it needs it. I don't by this at all. Ever since I owned it for the entire 262 miles it has always sounded the Efi prime. I know this cause I always tell my wife and kids to wait for the Efi to prime before starting. He claimed they check the pressure and it was 42. I did look this up and it states 43+or- 3.

So can anyone shed some light on this. Should I see another service dept before my warranty goes next week?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My 09 850 does not always prime when I turn the key on and it always starts right up. I am not sure what could have been causing the other problem. Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you kept turning the key on and off, it won't prime each time.

It will only prime after it has been sitting and lost its pressure. Also the plugs fouling out is a major issue on the 850's. Especially if you don't run the machine for long.

I have around 1100 km on my machine and am still on the original plugs. But it is starting to have a slight miss to it once and a while or a small stumble if I tap the gas.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine always primes but it's been cold. Try the plugs and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Do a search in the maintenance section for ADC........

·
Registered
593 Posts
Both of mine only prime when the pressure is low, if I ride then shut it off and start it within a short time mine usually doesn't prime. If it started right up and ran fine, you should be good on the EFI. At least if you brought it in, you have it documented so if you have the same issue in a reasonable time frame they should work on it under warranty because they didn't fix it when you brought it in during the warranty, but I don't think you have an issue with the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I am new here and figured I would say hi and start off asking ?????

I have a 2013 Xp850 it's warranty is up next week. Well last week I was out late spotting for deer. I was coming down a steep hill and had the ADC on. I pulled out onto the gravel road and the bike felt like it had four flat tires and was making a weird noise. I checked all four wheels and axles. I started driving again and the bike just felt like it was coming apart, I hit a bump and I heard something and it was fine after this. I called two local dealers and both were useless.

Well a week later I started having other issues. I turned the key and did not hear the Efi prime. I started it and shut it off. I waited a few mins tried again. This time the Efi priming sounded off. This continued on and off while I looked at the fuses and relays. It also was noted the bike was running rough. So I called another dealer further away that I've used before. He had me bring it in the next day.

He called me today and said that my quad was only firing on one clyinder. He said he had to order some NGK hotter plugs and hopes this would fix this. I questioned the Efi ? He said that was normal that the Efi only primes when it needs it. I don't by this at all. Ever since I owned it for the entire 262 miles it has always sounded the Efi prime. I know this cause I always tell my wife and kids to wait for the Efi to prime before starting. He claimed they check the pressure and it was 42. I did look this up and it states 43+or- 3.

So can anyone shed some light on this. Should I see another service dept before my warranty goes next week?

Thanks in advance.
As stated before the efi only primes when there is not enough "rail pressure", it might have had just enough to not need to prime at the time. I was worried about mine also the other day when it did not prime up as it only has 103 miles on it currently. The plugs foul out prematurely and varies depending on your area in which you ride. Around here it seems to be common so most change to a hotter plug right off that bat. As for the ADC issue, what type of noise did it make? A pop, grind, snap, whine, etc. I've only seen one do this but the bike was in a bind coming back over the top of a steep hill off a downward slope. The ADC is an odd thing for me to understand but I guess it works. Maybe it didn't "release" or something until you jarred it undone when hitting the bump? I'm not the best one on that part of these bikes so someone will chime in soon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have had mine feel like the front diff was locked up a couple of times just back up & it will release the front diff. fouling the plugs happens most when you do not warm it up before shutting in off. some guy's fire it up move it a couple of feet & shut it of witch fouls the plugs because they run rich cold.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
It is possible for the front diff. to "wedge", meaning it didn't unlock. It sounds like you were riding with the atv wedged in 4wd, and when you hit the bump, it unlocked. Riding on a hard surface locked in 4x4 would make it feel like it's going to come apart since there is a different gear ratio between the front and rear diffs. I have only had mine wedge when backing up in a tough spot, but maybe it could happen while going forward with the ADC engaged.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you kept turning the key on and off, it won't prime each time.

It will only prime after it has been sitting and lost its pressure. Also the plugs fouling out is a major issue on the 850's. Especially if you don't run the machine for long.
I have around 1100 km on my machine and am still on the original plugs. But it is starting to have a slight miss to it once and a while or a small stumble if I tap the gas.
same with some Hondas. If you start it then turn it off and finally start it again it might mess the plug. Too mutch gas in the carb. You have to let it run 5 min at least.

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
The first and only time I had the front diff binding I thought I had 2 front flats. Same basic deal as bob tight spot with a majority of the load on the front as I was reversing. Like ski boat stated reversing un binded it for me also.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ADC will feel like four flat tires. When in this mode all four wheels are locked and have the same drive pull. So when turning the tires there is no resistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts