Polaris ATV Forum banner

New member trying to decide wich Sporstman to buy

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Lollygagger77 
#1 ·
Hey I'm new here I been riding trails for a few years. I ride a little duel sport motorcycle a Yamaha TW200 (it's more like a two wheeled ATV then a dirt bike). I LOVE the goofy machine and have no intentions of replacing it. BUT last year I picked the wife up a used cheap beater quad that I fixed up for her to try and see if she would enjoy joining me on my off road trips.

Well turns out she loves it BUT hates the shifting gears and that old Suzuki is a bit finicky at times. So we are in the market for a new ATV for her that's auto simple to use, comfy, reliable and fun. Power really is not a concern as she's only ever riding with me on my TW and we take it slow. Don't really see mud mostly sand and rock trails. Likly may use it for plowing our two car driveway but even the 2wd 250 could pull that off most days.

She loves the comfort and style of the Polaris sportsman 570 we looked at in the dealer the other day. But I'm torn on getting her that or a 2016 450 HO

The 450 may run cooler being a lower tune and the 13 hp difference is not an issue for our use. BUT being a one year model has me wondering.

We are also limited by tow vehicle. As I have a Toyota Tacoma and a 4' by 7' trailer (bike goes in truck ATV in trailer). Trailer measures exactly 49" wide and 85" long). Is the 450 any physically smaller than the 570?

Thanx for any help you can offer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. I have nothing but good things about the 450. As for the 570, I love mine. As far as the dimensions are concerned, the 450 is 83" long X 48" wide X 47" tall. The 570 is 83" long X 48" wide X 48" tall. That is per the polaris website. So the 570 is 1" taller, everything else is the same. Either should fit in your trailer, just a little tightly. My only advise to you would be to spend the extra and get her the power steering model of which ever you choose. She will thank you for it. Good luck and cant wait to see pics of the new ride.

#3 ·
I would recommend getting the 570, and EPS is a must have, even more so if you are getting it for your wife. It's going into it's 4th year now, and is proving to be the best value on the market.

#4 ·
As I said in your post on the other forum I really like my 450 HO. I think other than tires it is the same size as the 570. I have not noticed any issues with mine getting hot on the right side but I haven't put a full day in on it yet. My wife is pretty small and she has no issues riding mine without EPS but I am sure if she rode it in slow technical rocky stuff she would.

#5 ·
The 570 is a great machine. My wife is wanting one for herself now. You wont go wrong with the 570.

#6 ·
Well we pulled the trigger on a 450 HO in blue. Non power steering (her Suzuki don't have and she don't see a need for it she's not frail). Pretty stoked looks good and should work great for us.

#8 ·
I have ridden one ATV with power steering (Honda Forman 500) myself. And a couple without (Yamaha kodiak, and the Ozark). And yes I see the benefit but I don't think it's as profound as some make it to be. For the speeds use and areas we ride I think we will do more than fine without.

It's like motorcycles and ABS breaks. Many say that they would never buy a bike now with out ABS. And it's a great feature and I had it on one my bikes and appreciated it a lot. But none of my current bikes have ABS. It's a nice option to have and great peice of mind. BUT a bit of practice and some fore thought can be almost as good.

In some ways not having a crutch and learning the best safe operating practices can make you a better rider. I'm not sure if that's true with ATVS but for bikes it most certainly is and

#9 · (Edited)
The 450 is a very capable machine. My buddys goes everywhere I go including mountains and mud. The power steering is one of those things you won't care about until you have it. My first two machines news never had it and I did not care. I have it now and would never get another machine without it. I do miss being able to pull back on the bar when slow climbing and shifting my weight around and having the bar have some rigidity. With power steering it's like pulling yourself up with a shopping cart. I'm sure wife will love her new machine.

#11 ·
Got the new 450HO home on Saturday. Looks great runs perfect and just buzzing around home has far more power than expected( going to take her a bit to get used). I be taking it down some trails this Wednesday to get some break in miles on it but so far looks like a great choice.

Only issue I have is I need a bigger trailer now lol. Had to modify the locking pins on this one to clear the wheels. It's a TIGHT fit but should be ok for now.
Also fills the garage pretty good now too good thing I hoping to get another place soon lol

Attachments

#12 ·
From what I have heard, so I could be wrong, the 450 is just a detuned 570, so if you contact Ryan at RVS performance, he can unlock that extra HP for not much moola!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.